Are NHS workers paid fairly?

Are the NHS paid enough

• Yes

Votes: 37 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • They are paid fairly according to what they are worth...

Votes: 27 25.7%

• Total voters
£60k grant for death in service - cant be bad.

I dread to think how militant and what a pain in the arrse NHS workers will be when they vaccinate.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I dread to think how militant and what a pain in the arrse NHS workers will be when they vaccinate.

You mean the grant linked to our pension scheme?
Pay out depending on how long you have paid in for and how much?

As is common to a lot of pension schemes?

Only payable if die whilst still working for the NHS?

Local facebook groups dont yet appear to have discussed the morality of local businesses advertising x% discount to NHS on production of an ID card.

That's a hell of a lot of Social media diversity analysts / stationary cupboard custodians and equal ops compliance managers pushing to the front of queues at ALDI - and getting discount big eats from the takeaway.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Local facebook groups dont yet appear to have discussed the morality of local businesses advertising x% discount to NHS on production of an ID card.

That's a hell of a lot of Social media diversity analysts / stationary cupboard custodians and equal ops compliance managers pushing to the front of queues at ALDI - and getting discount big eats from the takeaway.

Nowhere up here advertising any NHS discount.

Nowhere up here advertising any NHS discount.
Few restaurants my way re-opening as takeaways and 'ticking the box' by offering 20% discount on production of NHS card etc.
I suppose they feel they ought to.

Few restaurants my way re-opening as takeaways and 'ticking the box' by offering 20% discount on production of NHS card etc.
I suppose they feel they ought to.
I think there's an element of that. But I don't want chippy/Chinese/pizza/kebab everyday of the week - I have one once a month or so. But do people in my town bump me to the front of the queue outside the offie when I'm wearing my badges or does the girl behind the counter offer me 20% off?? Do they fook..... :-D

endure

GCM

And then standing in the middle of the aisle in gangs of 3 or 4 completely ignoring the social distancing rules.

Dont forget to add on the pension , not quite as good as the mIl but makes quite a difference to the standard of life when retired
Who were you replying to?

My Mrs is a podiatrist, she has to pay circa £350 p.a. for her registration, I seem to think some of it goes towards some sort of insurance tough.
Probably about right. She has to register with the HCPC as do I , and that's 170 quid over two years - but I also have to join the IBMS and she has to join the College of Podiatry to get reasonable cost indemnity insurance.

Last edited:
I'm assuming this is the Health secretary's announcement today. I would hope it's in addition to whatever death In service benefits the member would already be entitled to. I haven't seen it so I'll have to watch the news later.

Nope, am 50 miles North of Inverness, such companies do not operate up here
Almost bought a house in Golspie 20 years ago. Wish I had, four bed detached boot room, orchard, 75k - then my wife asked about the small stone building built in to the east wall of the garden.......turned out to be a 'chippie'.

Almost bought a house in Golspie 20 years ago. Wish I had, four bed detached boot room, orchard, 75k - then my wife asked about the small stone building built in to the east wall of the garden.......turned out to be a 'chippie'.
Chip shop?

Chip shop?
Yep.........couldn't see it from the garden other than the back and sides. Same stone as the house and garden wall, so we thought it was 'ours'....until we walked round the outside, turned the corner and saw the queue. I still think we should have bought it. I must sneek a peek on google earth and see how it fared.
ETA its still there, Fountains Rd, Golspie.....kind of glad we didn't buy it. Current or other kwners appear to have sold off a chunk kf the orchard and the Chippie is now enlarged to a shitty looking 'coffee bothy'. Plus side, the medical centre is right behind, but a car park and develoment make the immediate are look a bit like a 'zone in transition'. House still looks ok, though now rendered over the stonework. Unsurprisingly, its up for sale.

Last edited:

endure

GCM
Yep.........couldn't see it from the garden other than the back and sides. Same stone as the house and garden wall, so we thought it was 'ours'....until we walked round the outside, turned the corner and saw the queue. I still think we should have bought it. I must sneek a peek on google earth and see how it fared.

You were going to buy a house but you changed your mind because it had a captive chippie? :eek:

In what way were the various tax, NI and superannuation changes my choice?

And I certainly didn't choice to remove various payments and allowances from myself and my colleagues.
Sorry, I thought you were referring to the move from private practice to board that you described before.

The changes to tax and NI were not exclusive to the NHS. Nor were changes to pension schemes; the reality of actuarial affordability impacted private sector pensions much more than public sector.

Average earnings in the public sector have been higher than the private sector in every year since 2008 and were so for much of the previous decade too.

The bottom line is that the ONS statistics show the public sector earning more, working less hours, having higher skill levels, retiring earlier and having better pension benefits than the private sector.

So the way to find space for salary increases is through better productivity. But that requires innovation, vision, leadership and employee engagement.