Are men still allowed to join the Army?

Senior officers refusing to toe the political line? Reduced funding for the services and their services are terminated. Next!
That's alright, there are plenty of jobs with companies who have signed contracts with the MOD, plus book deals/newspaper interviews detailing how the Government is ruining defence.

D

Deleted 60082

That's alright, there are plenty of jobs with companies who have signed contracts with the MOD, plus book deals/newspaper interviews detailing how the Government is ruining defence.
Don’t I know. I’m just drafting a paper on Transformation.

I am in my 37th year of service, started as a private and am not some bloke who did a couple of years a couple of generations agao and pretends to be an expert on the Army ~^
Ok, if 22 years is a few years I bow down to your superior knowledge, all round expertness on all military topics and I am probably about the same age as you, have a second career and all round balance on what’s going on, but then top trumps never was my game

Last edited:

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
And light generations ahead of what I was issued in 1983, some of which I still have in boxes in the garage if anyone wants proof.

My dekit is going to be a hoot :)
I thought that too...

I remember a few days beforehand trying to get it all together and panicking like fuck cos the amount of shit I'd not crossed off on the 8 sheets of printouts was scary. Had me racking my brains thinking "when did I last see my Bag, Sausage x1...?" and "is Mug, Canteen the green plasticy one or the kidney shaped jobber that goes over your water bottle?" ...along with "where's my fucking water bottle?"

On the day, the guy says "I just need your GSR and your Mk7 Helmet".

I was like, "what about my Mk6A, my Mk6 and Mk5...?"

"up to you pal, I can take it, or you can bin it all"

"can I keep my steel toe cap Haix please?"

"I won't say anything..."

Happy days.

Last edited:

oppoStu

Old-Salt
What the military need is to stop focussing in white working class men/women, instead look at the Navy and the RAF, and open the service up to a long term commitment. A real career choice, leaving at 66. You’d have no problem with retention or recruitment, then and those toms who want to stay could the transfer to some REMF role, once there fitness started to let them down,
Disagree - most young people nowadays don't spend more than 5 years in a place because it is far easier to promote by moving around companies resulting in more £££.

The days of lifetime careers in 1 organisation are near non-existent now for millennials and gen-Z.

First off, advertise to everyone, but also niche market to the main demographic, white males.

Second off, advertise the Army for what it is, the #1 leading organisation for management/leadership skills which are critical for a successful career no matter what profession you eventually end up in.

And make the advert badass, like the Royal Marine adverts.

Last edited:
Disagree - most young people nowadays don't spend more than 5 years in a place because it is far easier to promote by moving around companies resulting in more £££.

The days of lifetime careers in 1 organisation are near non-existent now for millennials and gen-Z.

First off, advertise to everyone, but also niche market to the main demographic, white males.

Second off, advertise the Army for what it is, the #1 leading organisation for management/leadership skills which are critical for a successful career no matter what profession you eventually end up in.

And make the advert badass, like the Royal Marine adverts.

Most people never did 22 years in the past.

I would suggest that millennials are more likely to move because they can use the internet to see what it on offer elsewhere. If the Army offered a decent package, they might not go, quite a few youngsters stay in one job.

oppoStu

Old-Salt
Most people never did 22 years in the past.

I would suggest that millennials are more likely to move because they can use the internet to see what it on offer elsewhere. If the Army offered a decent package, they might not go, quite a few youngsters stay in one job.
Dependent on the industry, in the finance world where you are constantly being called and pestered by recruiters, everyone is constantly reminded of the 'market rate' for their role - firms headhunt on a regular basis (my experience).

With so many opportunities flying around, it is commonplace that you stay in a firm whilst they pay for your training, then the majority leave for other roles in industry as a low tier management role, dependent on the speed of promotions, they leave for promotional prospects/higher roles.

There is a constant demand for talented individuals that there is serious competition in the industry, therefore people move around often. Hence the finance recruitment industry is booming.

I can't speak for tradesmen, but accountants/lawyers/corporate finance etc etc move often. A lifelong career in one firm is very rare.

Dependent on the industry, in the finance world where you are constantly being called and pestered by recruiters, everyone is constantly reminded of the 'market rate' for their role - firms headhunt on a regular basis (my experience).

With so many opportunities flying around, it is commonplace that you stay in a firm whilst they pay for your training, then the majority leave for other roles in industry as a low tier management role, dependent on the speed of promotions, they leave for promotional prospects/higher roles.

There is a constant demand for talented individuals that there is serious competition in the industry, therefore people move around often. Hence the finance recruitment industry is booming.

I can't speak for tradesmen, but accountants/lawyers/corporate finance etc etc move often. A lifelong career in one firm is very rare.

I would suggest the majority of young soldiers will not go on to be accountants/lawyers/corporate finance.

oppoStu

Old-Salt
I would suggest the majority of young soldiers will not go on to be accountants/lawyers/corporate finance.
Depends. I am speaking about advertising for civvy street millennials and gen-Z'ers into the army, they're not all tradesmen. Some want to travel the world/gain experience/give back to their country in 4-6 years of service, then use their fresh leadership/management skillset to secure a cushty low-tier job in Landan.

Depends. I am speaking about advertising for civvy street millennials and gen-Z'ers into the army, they're not all tradesmen. Some want to travel the world/gain experience/give back to their country in 4-6 years of service, then use their fresh leadership/management skillset to secure a cushty low-tier job in Landan.
The majority of soldiers have left by their 5 year point for decades. However blaming those leaving because they are millennnials is a handy way for senior officers to blames someone else for the shit way they run the forces.

Latest Threads