Are men still allowed to join the Army?

Whilst lazily perusing the Army website to see what it's telling young people to try and get them to join, I couldn't help but notice that the majority of pictures, especially for combat arms are of women.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all against women in the Army, a few of them are genuinely good and many of them are up to the required standard. I also realise that we need them in to keep the numbers up. But what would a young white lad think if he was browsing the site? Is there a danger that by coming across as too 'woke', we're turning off the Army's key demographic - young lads?

So, let's get this straight.*
You think an organisation that features guns and fit birds (I know, I know, let's just pretend the website is an accurate portrayal) will be a turn off for young, white (presumably hetero) lads?
*SWIDT

You think an organisation that features guns and fit birds (I know, I know, let's just pretend the website is an accurate portrayal) will be a turn off for young, white (presumably hetero) lads?
*SWIDT
I don't know. Maybe during my time I've become conditioned to be averse to Green Fleet. Any young civvy lads care to comment?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
*SWIDT
ISTR that the US Army experience (quoted in 'A Kinder, Gentler Military') was that the emphasis on feminisation in their advertising made the Army less appealing to the rather harder articles essential to the core requirements of a fighting force. Though that Army's a generation ago now, Lawd help us, so it may be group hugs and safe spaces all round.

*SWIDT
Well something is turning them off.

But what would a young white lad think if he was browsing the site?
That there was an opportunity to run around in green kit with real guns, blow shit up, trap birds and incidentally to mix with just the sort of people he's used to mixing with in everyday life?

cowgoesmoo

Clanker
Well something is turning them off.
Could it be the wank T&Cs, shit living conditions, patronising and spineless leadership or perhaps they want to do something more exciting than UN bollocks in some african shithole. Not to mention the prospect of being prosectued in their dotage because they looked at someone a bit funny once.

Can't imagine seeing stuff on social media about plugs being cut off toasters and going months without hot water in the block is very appealing either

Taking damn near a twelvemonth to get in doesn't help.
Took me about three weeks.
It’s also (IMO) a vicious cycle. Ten years ago I was in my local pub. A quick straw poll revealed I was the only ex-pongo amongst very many ex-matelots (and one former marine). OK, it’s south Hampshire where we have an abundance of sailors. Now? A couple at most, as the ex-RN seem to die off quicker.
With ever smaller forces, there just aren’t the people serving for the kids to look up to and want to copy. Let’s face it, that’s how most of us ex-Forces got in. Youngsters round here can work for a builder or block-paver for pretty good money, have a girlfriend they see most nights and spend the weekend hoovering gak and spending a fiver a pint on lager that will give them a killer hangover. Swap that for stagging on in Catterick? No thanks.

Most of the recent decades have being wars fought for somebody else, many ex forces lead troubled lives after service and the forces have shrunk and are almost entirely absent in society except in terms of negative stories...

The Armed forces have to move with the times. Stagging on the gate...MOD PLOD job. Being fucked around needlessly. Shit food , shit accommodation.

Give the blokes decent standards and the blokes will stay in the Army.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
The British Army PR team (whoever they may be) have made a classic error in their approach and continue to do so with their box-ticking "look at us" type virtue-signalling.

Even silly little things that nobody cares about like Wimbledon - how many white men did YOU spot on Centre Court this year, particularly during the high profile matches?

Why do MaccyDs do so well despite employing mongs and selling deep fried polystyrene to the masses? Why did Martin Luther King have a 250,000-strong gathering that day for his "I have a dream" speech, despite no advertisement, pre-internet and with limited media coverage?

People are sold on concept. The "why", if you like. The subconscious appeal to their own ideals and beliefs. People don't go to McDonald's because of the food. They go because they "like getting their money's worth" and see themselves in their ads. People didn't rally to that speech to see MLK; they went because they too had a similar dream of living in a fairer society. They went for themselves.

The Army needs to drop this obsession it has with every single race / gender / religion and start reaching out to its core demographic, whatever colour or shape they are.

Everybody knows "what" the Army does. Fewer people know "how", and very few know "why". That's why the Frank adverts showing the protagonist skiing, having a laugh and being generally braver and richer than his civvie mates (who I despise, like all civvies btw) worked so well. They appealed to the "why". The Army have taken a step backwards in my humble opinion, reverting to a rather uninspiring "We're the Army, we love ethnic people and women... By the way we also have a range of careers to offer blah blah snore...".

Little wonder then, why Born in Carlisle, Raised in the Navy is the MaccyDs of the military world, whilst the Army is lagging behind with its "oh look we make halloumi burgers now cos we love veggies" are the unappealing second-rate Burger King of that military world.

I haven't mentioned RAF as this is a military forum.

Taking damn near a twelvemonth to get in doesn't help.
Took me about three weeks.
Which is entirely the wrong way around for a generation used to 24/7 online services. Last lad I knew applied, got himself a job whilst he was waiting, because he was just the dynamic sort who would have done well. Six months later his boss put him on a management trainee scheme and with his mother's encouragement the Army was quickly forgotten.
What is needed is:fill in application online, get a response in minutes, a face to face meeting within a week, a multi-day residential taster within the month and a start within 3 months.

Last edited:

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Whilst lazily perusing the Army website to see what it's telling young people to try and get them to join, I couldn't help but notice that the majority of pictures, especially for combat arms are of women.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all against women in the Army, a few of them are genuinely good and many of them are up to the required standard. I also realise that we need them in to keep the numbers up. But what would a young white lad think if he was browsing the site? Is there a danger that by coming across as too 'woke', we're turning off the Army's key demographic - young lads?
The company contracted to advertise the army as a career have been a complete disaster, many if not most Inf units are 40% down on numbers. When this was put to the company doing the adverts they stated "But we do have full employment in the UK" In that case work harder and stop making shit adverts that appeal to nobody in particular, unless ethnic!

I can't speak for the youngsters but personally, I'm refusing to re-join until they allow man-buns for the over 60's.
You're over 60 and still have enough of your own hair to consider a man-bun! Now I'm really pissed off.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes I know hes a Yank, but for many of my generation this sort of image inspired them to join up, plus we had local recruiting office staffed by REAL soldiers, and a fair few role models who had served working around us in Civvie street
IMG_20190731_120826.JPG

anglo

LE
The British Army PR team (whoever they may be) have made the classic error in their approach and continue to do so with their box-ticking "look at us" type virtue-signalling.

Even silly little things that nobody cares about like Wimbledon this year - how many white men did YOU spot on Centre Court, particularly during the high profile matches?

Why do MaccyDs so so well despite employing mongs and selling deep fried polystyrene to the masses? Why did Martin Luther King have a 250,000-strong gathering that day for his "I have a dream" speech, despite no advertisement, pre-internet and with limited media courage?

People are sold on concept. The "why", if you like. The subconscious appeal to their own ideals and beliefs. People don't go to McDonald's because of the food. They go because they "like getting their money's worth" and see themselves in their ads. People didn't rally to that speech to see MLK; they went because they too had a similar dream of living in a fairer society.

The Army needs to drop this obsession it has with every single race / gender / religion and start reaching out to its core demographic, whatever colour or shape they are.

Everybody knows "what" the Army does. Fewer people know "how", and very few know "why". That's why the Frank adverts showing the protagonist skiing, having a laugh and being generally braver and richer than his civvie mates (who I despise, like all civvies btw) worked so well. They appealed to the "why". The Army have taken a step backwards in my humble opinion and have gone back to "We're the Army, we love ethnic people and women... By the way we also have a range of careers to offer blah blah snore...".

Little wonder then, why Born in Carlisle, Raised in the Navy is the MaccyDs of the military world, whilst the Army is lagging behind with its "oh look we make halloumi burgers now cos we love veggies" unappealing second-rate Burger King of that military world.

I haven't mentioned RAF as this is a military forum.
The message getting across is " we don't want white heterosexual males"
Every government service, police, fires service and armed forces is pushing
to be diverse at the expense of the white male,
You can't have anything now that is white men only, just think for a
moment, from golf clubs to the army [and many more]that are now not men only'
every sport now as to have a woman fronting it
The youngsters of today might be soft, but they are not stupid,
they read all about the forces, between what they read and the time it takes to
join up, the forces have sh*t out

Latest Threads