Are IS Ops a bunch of whinging girlies?

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by the_real_yassa, Sep 19, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There seems to be a lot of moaning fools on this site intent on putting their own trade group into disrepute. :evil: There could be a time soon when the trade stucture for the IS Op might change. We could see the introduction of a Class III tradesman or woman very shortly. Do you think we are giving these potential/future IS Ops the right foundation? when all they see, is us whinging and moaning about how bad our training and structure is. 8)

We should be thinking about the future of the tade and the Corps, and by so doing ensure that future IS Ops have a clear career path from Sig - WO1 and through to Commissioning if they are good enough. 8O :idea:
  2. I have a friend who has a mate, who unfortunately has no opinion what so ever on this topic, lucky for you that I do. Reading through this site at some of the comments from whom, I can only assume are IS Operators, I would have to concur with you that on first appearance we do seem to be girly wingers, yes I am an IS Operator and hopefully doing my part towards dispelling the current geek/winger/wimp/resettlement course image that seems to accompany the trade.
  3. Liberty,

My mate reckons that if you are hoping to dispel the opinion that IS Ops are a bunch of self pitying, whinging girlies, you've got your work cut out.

Give it at least another 5 years. But I wish you luck!!
  4. I have a't really substantiate that really....

5. To be honest I have to agree to an extent that we have quite a few whingeing t0553rs on the roster. I think that it's been cos the IS (and previously ADP) roster was very much a bolt-on (no jokes about strap-ons pse). As a consequence, there was often the undertone from many that there were (and perhaps still are) an awful lot of failed Yeomen and Foremen. Lo and behold a few bitter, disillusioned Supvr IS who ended up as Warrant Officers anyway.

Hopefully as the more senior guys leave the roster will pick itself up. And the fact that we've had a few commissioned Tfc IS now will give a wee bit of confidence that there is a potential career like the FofS -> TOT and YofS - Tfc Offr.

One point I want to raise is the Supvr IS course. I can't really complain - if I do it and get £10k then that's a bl00dy bargain, but it makes us look like a bunch of bluffers amongst our operator and tech counterparts.

What things do you guys and girls think Supvr IS should be taught/tested at Blandford to pad out the 9 wks. I think a week of IT Sy Offr, some procurement and a week of PRINCE2 at least. At the very least we should have to have some pre-course requirements apart from "at least one leg".

Answers on a postcard! :!:
  6. You have to admit that there are many good IS Ops in the corps. We have to ensure that the correct training is given to facilitate the progression of class 3 to Supvr IS. There will be a time soon - and it can come soon enough - when all the old ADP Spec are gone and the trade is left to the real IS Ops.
  7. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Agree with you there PDwarf, there is absolutely no reason why a pot IS Sup should not get himself loaded on an ITSO course or maybe some Shrivenham courses ( maybe even push the boat out and do some self study) as a pre-requisit for getting on the selection course. It is up to the individual if he/she wants to progress in the trade to put some effort into learning things for the bigger picture. If they cant be bothered then they really are in the wrong trade, people who just coast along thinking that they are sorting themselves for civvy street are sadly mistaken. The only way that they will manage that is with experience and self education. :idea:

Prince2 would be an excellant idea but would it really happen. Also a good qualification to have but useless without experience so at least people would not be leaving of the back of it.
  8. I eat IS ops for breakfast with lineys.
  9. Ahhh realy, next you'll be telling us your a tech!!!!!! :D
  10. mmmm, Ive met some IS Ops I would'nt mind eating too, but thats not what ya meant is it disney??, bet you can't eat this IS Op (well not all at once anyway)
  11. Yeah Cheers disneyWorld!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And YASSA,,,your nearly bang on! disneyworld is made up of 2 fella's and 1 of them is a TECH! :lol:

TRUST ME!!!
  12. :evil:

S.H.A.F.T.E.D :oops:
  13. Now if that’s not proof of a whinging girly IS op then I don't know what is.
  14. What did they promise you Lied2? Did they say you could sleep in for as long as you like and there is no more PT, did they promise that you didn't need to be good at your job to be promoted? Actually I'm not even a little curious please don’t tell me it might make me cry.