Are graphic photos really needed?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by 1stgulfmac, Jul 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know DavidBOC has mentioned this in the thread about the Boston bomber and I realise it is the Daily Mail:

Dzohokhar Tsarnaev pictures: Dramatic new pictures of the moment Boston Bomber emerged from the boat | Mail Online

But do photos as graphic as this or even worse need to be published for people to understand the news. I know that cinema films are as graphic or worse but there is a degree of control in certification. However in public acess media and I include rolling news in this, do we really need to see every detail?

And yes its in the serious bit for a reason.
  2. It's the classic "And let that be a warning to anyone thinking about doing something similar" approach to crime prevention
  3. Didn't the Daily Mail pledge never to use paparazi photos after Diana? ****ing hypocrites.
  4. I don't think we do need to see every detail, but taking the OP's point about films, maybe we have become desensitised to these extreme images, because we know it is (in the case of films) fake blood and makeup, there is a thirst for looking at "real" images to experience the same feelings of shock.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. .
  6. Cnuts like this should get zero publicity, and neither should other lunatic mass murderes etc.

Someone, somewhere is thinking to themselves "That could be me there on the telly/in the newspaper/internet etc."
  7. 'Alleged' bomber......WTF?

He claimed 'innocent of all charges' in court. Already the 'Justice for Jokar'[sic] posters and T-shirts have been appearing...

8. Innocent until proven guilty. Isn't that the the US justice system (and ours) works?
  9. But does it work or just make the wierdos want their faces in the news.
  10. Doesn't the question presuppose that the media is foccussed on providing quality news rather than producing profit? In life, we need very little, need is rarely if ever the driver behind why things are done.
  11. HHH

HHH LE

The guy who released them has a point when you see how The Rolling Stone front cover portrays him.
  12. I thought that mag was making the reasonable point that not all terrorists automatically look like a cartoon supervillain or Hollywood-baddie. Though needless to say that's a point many are not at all comfortable with, and prefer Outrage to, you know, thought and pinko stuff like that.
  13. Odd that few of the outrage stories about the Rolling Stone cover mentioned that the same photo was widely used by the press and TV news just after his capture. I found the glorifying terrorism bleating by the mayor of Boston a bit rich given the number of Billy Sands and other martyrs for Irish freedom pictures I saw in bars in Boston last time I was there.
  14. That's what OJ will tell you, though Trayvon Martin's family may disagree

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
  15. Some can have a dramatic effect.