Are cadets worth £80,000,000 a year?

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by datumhead, Sep 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Found these figure's, admitedly 2004 but worth discussing......

Cadet Services
    Dr. Iddon: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what (a) financial and (b) other assistance is given by his Department to (i) sea cadets, (ii) army cadets and (iii) air cadets. [201987]

Mr. Caplin: The Ministry of Defence provides the following, in terms of (a) financial, and (b) further assistance:

Sea Cadets

The Sea Cadets are run and administered by the Marine Society/Sea Cadet Association (the parent charity). The total budget provided to the Marine Society/Sea Cadet Association and direct by MOD is £9.4 million per year. The use of Naval training establishments and sea training days on HM ships is uncosted.

Army Cadets

The Army Cadets are run and administered by the MOD. The total budget provided to the Army Cadets is £50 million, which comprises:
    £ million
    Salaries (all forms) 32
    Cadets estate programme. 14
    Travel and subsistence 1
    Cadet activities 3

Further assistance, in the form of the use of Army training establishments and attendance on courses and parades organised and administered by the Regular Army is uncosted.

Air Cadets

14 Dec 2004 : Column 1028W

The Air Cadets are run and administered by the MOD. The total budget provided to the Air Cadets for 2004–05 is £22 million.

Further assistance in the form of the use of RAF training establishments and attendance on courses and parades organised and administered by the RAF is uncosted

Given the lack of funding for the actual services are these ammounts justified?

£80,000,000.......troops or cadets?

2. Yes.

Are the ATC still the number one source for recruitment to the RAF?

3. Hell yeh, cadets was the best time of my life! Especiallialy the air cadets. But I would I would Rather the troops in iraq and afghanistan had better equipment.

4. Yes alot of money granted.

Lets take the 50 million for the ACF

Split it between the roughly 80, 000 cadets and 9,000 AI's and the organisation gives quite good value for money :D

5. Maybe but it still a LOT of cash to pay so some kids can go to play war when our boys and girls are actualy doing it for real with not enough kit!

£32,000,000 on wages????????????

6. You sir, have too much time on your hands :D :D :D

The point is the MOD have realised what a valuable recruiting tool the organisations are. Hence the budget.

Jesus I saw the end of a programme and that noncey bloke St Jamie Oliver pitched blair for around that much for school dinners and got it.

Id have told him to pish off and tell the cooks to use the ovens instead of the fryers.

7. ....and a lot of those boys and girls in the front line are ex-cadets.

8. Indeed PTP

I can count 20 just off the top of my head that have been to hotter climates recently. They only left cadets a few years ago and tha was from 2 units.
    My local detachment probably has someone join up every 6 months.
    Not including those that join the TA.

9. It is alot of money and yes it should go to front line troops. I was under the impression that our budget had been severely cut this year!! I know my county has very little money and this is primarily down to large cuts this year!!

10. It all goes to keeping Frimley looking pretty mate

11. Maybe but it still a LOT of cash to pay so some kids can go to play war when our boys and girls are actualy doing it for real with not enough kit!

£32,000,000 on wages????????????[/quote]

Had a fair bit of contact with the Cadets and many would argue they are actually underfunded. Some detatchments I know consistently struggle to supply basic uniform to their cadets.

It's not just about some kids playing war. The ACF is a youth organisation based on military principles that is going a long way to giving millions of kids a sense of structure, purpose and responsibility. Against a backdrop of deteriorating educational standards and massive social problems in many parts of the country this is a vital function. Surely it is just as much a part of looking after the interests of the nation as implementing foreign policy in far off lands?

Add to that the obvious PR and recruiting spin offs and you have an organisation that is worth its weight in gold.

Successive governments have stripped defence budgets to the bone because we're a soft target. That and the apparent lack of foresight that has led to our boys often going on ops poorly equiped rightly gets our backs up, but:
    1. The implied argument that we should strip funding from the cadets to balance the books in support of overseas ops is not the way forward
    2. Whilst I don't have the figures to hand, I imagine 80M is a drop in the ocean compared to the sums being spent on Ops

12. I think the Regs should always come first when it comes to the allocation of funds, especially when they they are short of kit in the middle east.

But I think the cadets, both ATC and ACF are good recruitment tools for the RAF and army. A lot of cadets join because they are already interested in the forces, if the cadets weren't available the cadets could have been tempted to drugs or "chavess".

13. I can't stand sea cadets HOWEVER....

It is a good activity for the little shits and instead of taking money off (says through gritted teeth) them, why don't we look at the sponging chav single mums living off benefits for example.

Defence budget is 4% of GDP. Welfare is 27%.......

14. Ok, let's say it's £100,000,000 a year

How much do you think it costs per month to be in Iraq?

15. Must admit i'm playing devil's advocate here.

I was in the cadets and have seen the good it can do but also the flip slde...why do the bullies get worse? anyway I for one would be sad to see the end of the org but reality must be faced and by setting them up as a seperate association they can cut all funding and make them reliant on handouts from the lottery and other govt departments, just not the MOD so it's defence a cut.
    Also why if the camps and bases are MOD is there a £14.000.000 estates fund?