Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Army reservists respected by the regulars?

ste14w

War Hero
We had a bunch of TA Sigs turn up for an exercise in Hohne in 86.
One of them could drink a pint while two of his mates held him upside down.
You've got to respect that.

it depends. About 30-60% of medics in Herrick were reservists.
they were highly respected as far as i know
That is true. The bulk of the (US) Army's doctors and nurses are in the Reserve program. I would imagine the British Army's percentage is similar. I found them to be a well trained and respected lot in their field in Desert Shield/Storm.

One of them could drink a pint while two of his mates held him upside down.
It's the only way the Royal Australian Regiment exchangees can drink when based in the northern hemisphere.
Chatting with them at the bar can be a challenge - "Did you know your shoelaces are undone ?"

Today just happens to be the 106th anniversary of the London Scottish (Territorial Force) action at Messines.

The Burning Windmill at Messines

1604109710223.png

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Army has never won a Major war without what was once the TA., In particular they provided whole divisions in WW1.

Last edited:
It's hard to say. I've never knowingly met a reservist.
Interesting - if you're a civvy/in civvies, its the first thing they'll tell you. If you're in uniform, it will be the last thing they'll mention. There's good bad and indifferent reserves, just like regulars.

Londo

LE
It's the only way the Royal Australian Regiment exchangees can drink when based in the northern hemisphere.
Chatting with them at the bar can be a challenge - "Did you know your shoelaces are undone ?"
As a lineman I always used to ask " Which one ? "

Interesting - if you're a civvy/in civvies, its the first thing they'll tell you. If you're in uniform, it will be the last thing they'll mention. There's good bad and indifferent reserves, just like regulars.
I've always found that the more mediocre the Regular the harsher the criticism of the Reservist - Australian experience.

The Army as never won a Major war without what was once the TA., In particular they provided whole divisions in WW1.
Kitchener didn't think much of the TF though for some reason. Once it was mobilised, he didn,t expand it but formed his new army, pals battalions and such like who received their baptism of fire on the first day of the Somme. Subsequent battalions of a regiment which were raised for war service as part of Kitcheners new army were denoted 'service battalions'.

In WW2 all expansions of the army with new battalions and divisions they were all formed as part of the Territorial Army even though the TA had been embodied and didn't exist as such.

As an ex-Reg in the TA I found that Stab's were keener, generally better educated*, had appallingly bad fire discipline.

*However ...On exercise in the 90s, when using a disused building at RAF Fairford as a CP, we were bumped by the Fantasians and I saw two new TA RMP L/Cpls, both with degrees in economics, running around in carpet slippers with their CEFO over their pajamas because "We were only told to stay fully dressed if we were in a field."

As an ex-Reg in the TA I found that Stab's were keener, generally better educated*, had appallingly bad fire discipline.

*However ...On exercise in the 90s, when using a disused building at RAF Fairford as a CP, we were bumped by the Fantasians and I saw two new TA RMP L/Cpls, both with degrees in economics, running around in carpet slippers with their CEFO over their pajamas because "We were only told to stay fully dressed if we were in a field."

Many years ago, I saw a Regular RA BC similarly attired at a CO's O group. Apparently, he always went to sleep on exercise in pajamas, and on this occasion was woken up to attend an O group at short notice.

Latest Threads