Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Army reservists respected by the regulars?

Yes/no/maybe.

We had a TA WO2 Yeoman of Signals with us on Saif Sarrea 2, he was a useless shitcunt and ended up being left in charge of a stores wagon.

On the other hand, I was part of a group of Regulars attached to a TA unit on one of their big two week exercises in ze Vaterland back in 2005, they were a really keen group of lads and lasses, even better their officers actually listened to our advice. Despite the fact that I was given a knackered old 110 to drive, which had some inspired Gurkha-dreamt up radio wiring (the polarity on the positive stowage point was reversed, which inevitably resulted in a small fire whilst I was driving the STAB Colonel around), it was a really enjoyable exercise.

Yes/no/maybe.

We had a TA WO2 Yeoman of Signals with us on Saif Sarrea 2, he was a useless shitcunt and ended up being left in charge of a stores wagon.

On the other hand, I was part of a group of Regulars attached to a TA unit on one of their big two week exercises in ze Vaterland back in 2005, they were a really keen group of lads and lasses, even better their officers actually listened to our advice. Despite the fact that I was given a knackered old 110 to drive, which had some inspired Gurkha-dreamt up radio wiring (the polarity on the positive stowage point was reversed, which inevitably resulted in a small fire whilst I was driving the STAB Colonel around), it was a really enjoyable exercise.

Hey, that's not just STABs. In Bosnia I was sent to a fault at Mostar on an FFR - power fault reported. The dozy bint had basically burnt out the entire 24V distribution system from the battery cables to the PDB, and banjaxed all 4x batteries. How the wagon never went up in flames I will never know. That particular FFR became a GS for some time :)

Hey, that's not just STABs. In Bosnia I was sent to a fault at Mostar on an FFR - power fault reported. The dozy bint had basically burnt out the entire 24V distribution system from the battery cables to the PDB, and banjaxed all 4x batteries. How the wagon never went up in flames I will never know. That particular FFR became a GS for some time :)

Which Regt was this?

It wasn’t a STAB vehicle, the Yellow German’s squadron lent it to me for the exercise.

Memory jog:- Ex crusader 80. BAOR. On several occasions i was sent out from CP4, to get the TA signals blokes out of the shit, mostly lack of training, and any sense of commitment to sorting out their own bloody problems. One was a Bedford Mk, that would not fire up, It was a fuel blockage , the agglomerator bowl totally filled with crud, another, a LWB rover's driver wondered why it would not start, drivers tank dry, and the driver did not know where the change over tap was for the passenger tank . This lot were from a TA center in Bournemouth.

In our static ( Praise be to the ACC) cookhouse in the swallenburg forest sitting eating my scran with my oppo, a TA sergeant starts to get gobby, not realizing that we were regulars, one of our own SNCO's has a quite word in his ear. This was the same bloke that bollocked me for daring to enter his radio wagon with some paperwork from my OC.

@History_Man - RSM's initials were PG. PM me for full name, if desired.

Very interesting looking back at the Wire from back then. I've just found a photo of a guy in my troop talking to FM Inge. My mate was a Cpl at the time.

He's still in, now a full Colonel, despite being LE, and has an OBE. No wonder he got dicked to talk to the FM :)

@History_Man - RSM's initials were PG. PM me for full name, if desired.

Very interesting looking back at the Wire from back then. I've just found a photo of a guy in my troop talking to FM Inge. My mate was a Cpl at the time.

He's still in, now a full Colonel, despite being LE, and has an OBE. No wonder he got dicked to talk to the FM :)

Pretty sure I know who you mean and if I am correct, he was the penultimate Trg Maj at 31 Sig Regt.

Latest Threads