Are all Military Doctors bad?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Kingxex, Oct 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I went to the med centre yesterday as on Monday night I had been sick three times, my tonsils are swollen like balloons, I'm having hot and cold sweats stopping me from sleeping and a constant pounding headache.

When I went yesterday I had a civilian doctor quickly look in my mouth and he said "yeah, tonsilitus" but he didn't examine me, it was a medic. The two medics there also told me it was tonsilitus and flu symptoms and that I should eat less aggrovating foods and drink plenty of water. I was bedded down for the day.

Last night was just as bad so I went sick again, this time I saw a Lt Col. He started asking me irrelevant questions like "do I have any other injuries?" .. Injuries? I'm ******* ill I've not injured myself.

He looked in my mouth and said there doesn't seem to be anything wrong here, maybe a sore throat. I told him I've been told I have tonsilitus and he sarcastically said "Errrr are they doctors?" .. I felt like saying yeah, one of them was actually. This topped it off for me: he asked me what kind of stuff I'd been drinking, I said water. He said that was a bad idea and that I should drink coke. Coke instead of water?! Maniac.

So I'm now returning back to work with a chit for PT and a 'sore throat'.

How many sore throats include being sick, tonsils with white spots, fatigue, pounding migranes and hot and cold sweats during the night?

Are they like this on purpose? The usual gung ho if your leg hasn't fell off get on with it Army attitude?
  2. Glad to see that "Take 2 codeins and if you're still alive in the morning, report sick" is still alive and kicking so to speak. Seriously, good and bad I suspect [like civvy street].
  3. I has a "ankle sprain" when I was an apprentice once. Nothing to see here, Brufen and tubigrip (honestly! However I had an allergic reaction to the Brufen and haven't been given any since) 4 weeks later and Im still in pain but the chit had run out 2 weeks before so it was man up time on PT. Pain really bad after a run, go back sick and get sent to the BCMH (was that its name in Aldershot? Anyway the hosp there) and lo and behold I have a broken ankle. Clowns. I struggled with it for years after that.
    However, in the same med centre now (Arborfield) is a truly superb Doc who really knows his stuff.
  4. I have an on-again, off-again relationship with a Surgeon Lt. Cmdr.
    Is she bad?
    Ohhh yes!
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Quick answer: No, most are very good, but as with all organizations some are idle and some are just bad.

You are entitled to a second opinion and or to change your doctor. If you think the Doctor was wrong then exercise that right.
  6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

How are you with soft furnishings? Because I just cannot get my cushions to contrast with my velances. Its a nightmare. Straights it is.

Heres the deal. Anybody... no ANYBODY with a modicum of medical knowlege, is a Total Hero of Soviet Labour if you are bad and you need an assist. Doctors, nurses, tossers who have just run over and tried to help....

It doesnt matter. If you are hurting, they are heroes. When they have gone, if you still have a headache, sue the ******* in the European Courts of Human Rights.

Hope this helps.
  7. I know it doesn't help your predicament, but if you've got white spots on the tonsils, it's probably Strep throat - a swab would confirm. That's pretty much the only kind of tonsillitis a civilian doctor would prescribe antibiotics for. Nasty little buggers them strep bacteria; hope it clears up soon.
  8. If you can read this thread tomorrow, you have just a sore throat.
    If you dont read this thread tomorrow, then your dead and all your worrys are over.
  9. The standard RAMC cure-all was a couple of foot of tubigrip and a tube of Algipan.... The instant remedy for anything from a toothache to a dose..... "Next patient please...."

Has anyone mentioned the RAF dentists who took such delight in drilling all the good bits out of the mouths of young squaddies yet? I'm sure they went to the same training school as Mengele.....
  10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

yep sounds like strep throat. eat loads of garlic and gargle with warm saline solution.
  11. All the Navy doctors i've ever encountered (patient of 6 so far, known a shedload on final commissioning course) have been excellent. Hope that helps.
  12. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The 3Ps of medicine

Penicillin, Ponstan and Piss off.
  13. Used to be an old Polish dentist in Gutersloh (Mansergh Barracks) in the 1970's... Rumour had it he'd learnt his trade in Auschwitz.

An RADC Lt Col in Rheindahlen eventually put right most of the damage...
  14. @sparky8 - Is it still the guy with three fingers who hands out biff boots like dentists hand out lollypops? :)

That's what I'm going to do.

Also, to those that suggested medicines, that's the thing. He gave me nothing but a chit. He must be from some ancient Army mentality where he expects me to battle my illness with willpower.
  15. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Unless he is on the ball and all you have is 'man flu'.