Are all Freeviw boxes much the same?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jan 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Or are there any belters / howlers?

2. If you are replacing a Freeview box it might be worth going for an HD box.

We just got a Humax HD-FOX T2 for a very good deal at Peter Jones. (Full price is about £150 -with return reduction and JL voucher came to £30 cash!)

They also do one with a hard disk (Humax HDR-FOX T2) or you can attach a USB external disk to the Humax HD-FOX T2.

NB check whether FreeviewHD is being broadcast in your area first.
  3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

got a Wharfedale one which was pish - hard drive constantly freezing and thing needed rebooting constantly, so that went back.

then spent a bit extra on a Hitachi one from Argos - works like a charm and does exactly what it says on the tin.
  4. I got a Humax box from Richer Sounds for £120 - well worth it to record on. You can set it to series record so you never miss favourites
  5. I have an old TV in my bedroom, non digital so got a cheap box, about £15 had it about 4 years now without any probs.
  6. What about aerials? I bought a a flat panel All-in-one for my PC Win7/Pinnacle kit. Better than the old one, but still a bit flakey at times. Digital reception is still pretty shit where I live. (South London)
  7. How far South?

You need to find out where your Digital Signal is coming from.

I live in Ashford,Kent,all the aerials in Ashford point to the Dover transmitter,which is now basically a rebro for the transmitter at Bluebell Hill,about 160degrees difference,turned my external aerial towards Bluebell Hill,brilliant signal all the time,end of.
  8. I live in South London, Catford in fact, and I get a bloody good reception here.
  9. I can see South Norwood and Crystal palace transmitters from my living room window! And so can the wall mounted flat panel. Still I have a shit signal!

I think its interference from other digtal sources. I once detected six home wi-fi networks from my flat!
  10. I tried out a couple of trial ones here in South Essex and got no result at all. I have a cheap arial and was quoted £120 for a decent arial upgrade which there was no way I was going to stump out for. I used to only watch about 1 hour telly a week, 3 hours maximum some weeks. So no way was I going to pay out loads of dosh on top of a TV licence, when my telly only cost £30 second hand! Tight fisted? of course I am! times are hard.... I could just three channels good enough to watch, and made do with those.

But it all changed in the last new year sales when I bought a DVD and video recorder. It also came with a Hard drive and freeview built in (Toshiba RDXV59DTKB). All I did was plug in the connections and switch it on and it begun to tune itself in without me doing anything else. Suddenly, I had all the freeview channels and a better picture! I would recommend the Toshiba to anyone. Since I got it I watch loads of telly and am catching up with stuff from way back.

So to A your Q, all freeview boxes can't be the same. Try borrowing a few and see if they work for you.
  11. B_B will be along in a few minutes and say he does not need one and we fell for it again...probably
  12. Digital signals are very weak: I had to upgrade my roof antenna, which already had a signal booster in the roofspace. I've also found (by experimenting with the set in my Caernarvon hotel room) that you need to get the best possible contact between the coax cable, the wall socket and the receiver - on some bad reception days (usually when the air is clear and dry in high summer or a sharp frost) it is sufficient just to twist the end of the coax while it is in the socket (i presume that this skims off a thin layer of oxides and improves contact).

My hotel room experiment comprised dismantling the plug at the ened of the coax, giving the wire sticking out from the core of the cable a good scrape with a pocket knife and at the same time kinking it slightly at 3 or 4 points, so it would make multiple points of contact when reinserted into the plug. Tidy up the outer wire mesh for the same kind of reason, and when reassembled/reconnected my set had gone from receiving just 4 channels, to a choice of 31.

(Most of them shoite, to be fair, but the hotel had a bar . . . )
  13. I took my laptop to SMP camp. Folkestone, with my Pinnacle dongle last year, and its supplied 4 inch whip aerial. I stuck it on the window of my accommodation and expected nothing.

I got nearly every channel I know of, and a few I didn't.