Are ads on ARRSE getting more and more irritating?

Saint Joanna de Lumley is ranting and stamping her foot. Really don't need to have even her shouting at me. Some cow with a face covered in clingfilm is telling me how a simple trick can make me lose weight. The bigmouth bitch from WaHeyy is nagging at my peripheral vision, in both cases there is sudden movement designed to attract the eye.

In all honesty, these ads are getting so irritating that I don't like looking here as much - which could, of course, be the whole point...

Is it just me??

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
In that case, pay to get rid of them, you tight ******!!

The Ads reflect your internet browsing habits. I am getting sick of being offered cheap, bulk purchases of gaffa tape and I've seen all the 'Donkey bumming a kid' videos on offer on the Amazon banner.

Unfortunately we have once again had to revert to slightly more irritating ads that the well controlled Google ones that are our bread and butter. We're working on it and aim to return to a balance of reasonably unintrusive ads and income.

The Ads reflect your internet browsing habits. I am getting sick of being offered cheap, bulk purchases of gaffa tape and I've seen all the 'Donkey bumming a kid' videos on offer on the Amazon banner.

I keep getting entreaties to join a website for Muslim brides.. I'm sure this bears no relation to my surfing activities.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I keep getting entreaties to join a website for Muslim brides.. I'm sure this bears no relation to my surfing activities.
It doesn't, but the new algorithms can read your innermost thoughts.

In that case, pay to get rid of them, you tight ******!!
I did that. Still get them on the 'phone, though. If that's the way it's supposed to be, then I may as well just go back to an ad-blocker. :-|

I don't mind the ads so much, sometimes I even read them, but the ad space near the top of the page is irritating. Whenever I open a new page, the ad takes a second or so to load, dropping the page content below it when it does.

When I've loaded "Subscriptions", "Last 50", etc. and click on a thread, I often find that I go to the thread above instead as a result of the page dropping at the moment that I click the mouse button.

Any chance of putting the ad into a fixed-size box to stop it? Please.

Saint Joanna de Lumley is ranting and stamping her foot. Really don't need to have even her shouting at me. Some cow with a face covered in clingfilm is telling me how a simple trick can make me lose weight. The bigmouth bitch from WaHeyy is nagging at my peripheral vision, in both cases there is sudden movement designed to attract the eye.

In all honesty, these ads are getting so irritating that I don't like looking here as much - which could, of course, be the whole point...

Is it just me??
I see no ads other than the Tribe one in the RH column. Chrome with Ad Blocker Plus.

I did that. Still get them on the 'phone, though. If that's the way it's supposed to be, then I may as well just go back to an ad-blocker. :-|
I think I read on here if you email the CO's they will sort it.
(Don't take this as fact, as i said I think)

Yup, we have a standing offer to anyone who thinks they should be able to view ARRSE ad free to just drop us an email and we'll give you a free subscription.

Yup, we have a standing offer to anyone who thinks they should be able to view ARRSE ad free to just drop us an email and we'll give you a free subscription.
It's generous COs we have an' no mistake! I'll not have you lot saying nasty things behind their backs no more, d'ya hear me?

I'd love to take you up on the offer, but I'm already subscribed. I thought it would follow through (ooh-er!) onto the mobile platform, that's all.

Edit: Just checked -

The ARRSE ad-free subscription removes advertising from the
iOS and Android apps
, plus the main website. It doesn't leave white space, speeds things up and helps oil the wheels of ARRSE.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'd love to take you up on the offer, but I'm already subscribed. I thought it would follow through (ooh-er!) onto the mobile platform, that's all.
What are you using? I don't get ads on my phone or on the Kindle version.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
XRE_987, can I just confirm that you've got the latest version of the app and that you are logged in with the user that has the ad free subscription? The combination of those two things is required to remove the ads.

What are you using? I don't get ads on my phone or on the Kindle version.
Not getting them on my phone.
Well, I just checked again and the ads were still there, so I reset all settings, emptied the cache and restarted the app and they seem to have gone :-? They appeared below the thread titles in the "participated" and "Unread" tabs.

I've no idea what that was about, maybe a phone bug and not a site issue at all. Not entirely sure when they started, but i did upgrade OS recently.

If anyone has any Humble Pie going spare...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
morsk 2018 ARRSE Upgrade 8
mso The NAAFI Bar 27
Speedy The NAAFI Bar 9