Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There are lots of throw away stats out there, not all of which bear scrutiny. If we apply some logic - 3 regular battalions, say 500 each, somewhere between 90% and 100% para trained because it is a prerequisite of the cap badge. Between 1350 and 1500, excluding Reserve and other 16x units. Add in the AR, 16X and people at E and the numbers go up considerably.

Are more than 1/3 of 3CDOX Para trained? If we compare all para trained PIDs in 16x as “the Airborne” they would have to get a higher amount again. In 1998 there were three nearly fully manned TA Bns to account for, if they were throwing RMR into the mix.

Not impossible but far from probable. Especially give the pressure on para training slots over the last 20 years. “Legacy quals” would be senior officer/NCO territory.

It used to be the case that each Commando had to have about 60-65 guys para trained, giving you 180-195 (40, 42 and 45). There would also be numerous bods who’d moved in and out of various units in the Corps, and back into the various Cdos, who’d gained their wings previously so were over and above the required number, meaning you could easily have around 100 or more in total in each Cdo. Added to that you had the M&AW Cadre, 148 Bty and a number in 29 main, Recce Tp 59, and guys in various other places within the Brigade. All in all you could have around 500 in various places throughout the Brigade. Nowhere near as many as in 16 Bde, or 5 Bde before it, but that’s to be expected. Still a sizeable number all told.

Edit. I’m sure I read an article in Soldier magazine back in the 90’s, featuring 29 doing something or other in Cyprus. The article described a drop using a new ‘chute, and I’m sure it said that at that time, all of 29 had their wings. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Last edited:
It used to be the case that each Commando had to have about 60-65 guys para trained, giving you 180-195 (40, 42 and 45). There would also be numerous bods who’d moved in and out of various units in the Corps, and back into the various Cdos, who’d gained their wings previously so were over and above the required number, meaning you could easily have around 100 or more in total in each Cdo. Added to that you had the M&AW Cadre, 148 Bty and a number in 29 main, Recce Tp 59, and guys in various other places within the Brigade. All in all you could have around 500 in various places throughout the Brigade. Nowhere near as many as in 16 Bde, or 5 Bde before it, but that’s to be expected. Still a sizeable number all told.

Edit. I’m sure I read an article in Soldier magazine back in the 90’s, featuring 29 doing something or other in Cyprus. The article described a drop using a new ‘chute, and I’m sure it said that at that time, all of 29 had their wings. Can anybody confirm or deny this?
I am pretty sure it is only 148 Bty that is all Para trained. Are you sure the article wasn't about ex Med Splash where they jumped into the Med with SBS?

Back in 1993 when I did my TA/Refresher course there was a WO2 from 40 Commando RM turned up wearing Para Smock and wings to do a refresher course to re-qualify. He disappeared at the end of the week. The PJI's told us that they could find no trace of him originally completing a BPC and qualifying for his wings.

It seemed a strange case. Why go all the hassle of bluffing it. He could have blagged his way onto a BPC with his rank and contacts. And it must have been on his records if he had passed a BPC before,

I am pretty sure it is only 148 Bty that is all Para trained. Are you sure the article wasn't about ex Med Splash where they jumped into the Med with SBS?

Back in 1993 when I did my TA/Refresher course there was a WO2 from 40 Commando RM turned up wearing Para Smock and wings to do a refresher course to re-qualify. He disappeared at the end of the week. The PJI's told us that they could find no trace of him originally completing a BPC and qualifying for his wings.

It seemed a strange case. Why go all the hassle of bluffing it. He could have blagged his way onto a BPC with his rank and contacts. And it must have been on his records if he had passed a BPC before,

That’s how I remember it....148 all, 29 main some. It was a surprise to me, one Battery perhaps, but not the whole regiment. But I’m almost certain the article stated all of 29 were at that time. The more I think of it, I think it mentioned something about an expansion of 29’s role.

That is really odd about the WO2 from 40. Is there anyway he could have done it, but for some reason the details gone awry? I mean, I don’t see how he could have got away with it, I’m sure somebody in the Corps would have called him out.

I remember seeing 29 as well as 148 blokes. The latter were easily distinguished by their Combined Ops flashes, whereas 29 didn't wear them.

That’s how I remember it....148 all, 29 main some. It was a surprise to me, one Battery perhaps, but not the whole regiment. But I’m almost certain the article stated all of 29 were at that time. The more I think of it, I think it mentioned something about an expansion of 29’s role.

That is really odd about the WO2 from 40. Is there anyway he could have done it, but for some reason the details gone awry? I mean, I don’t see how he could have got away with it, I’m sure somebody in the Corps would have called him out.
I don't know. It was really odd. I don't think he would have got away with walting it with Para wings. He looked a tough fit little guy. Just like you would expect a Marine CSM to look like. You would think PTS would check with the Chief Clerk 40 Cdo RM for evidence of completing a course before they RTU'd him.

As for all of 29 Cdo being Para trained - I doubt it as there was a backlog of courses in the early nineties due to a fire destroying most of the RAF's parachutes in about 1991.

While doing duty bod in the PCAU one night I saw the course priority for courses. From memory it was 1- 22 SAS, 2 - SBS, 3 - Para Reg recruits. 4 BPT/148, 5 - 5AB Bde Para trained units, 6 - 3 Cdo Bde RM.

Last edited:

Oyibo

LE

The PCAU records are very well maintained - they are the first port of call when someone tries using the 'airborne claim to fame' for jobs/kudos etc.

The PCAU records are very well maintained - they are the first port of call when someone tries using the 'airborne claim to fame' for jobs/kudos etc.
Would they give that sort of information to agencies outside the military with the exception of Police, Security Services etc. These days I thought it would be covered by data protection.

As someone who gets dizzy standing on a chair I pass this observation on from a mate, ex-29 (Falklands period) who later joined 131 Sqn RE.

At the parachute school there was a certain amount of banter as to who's course was the hardest:

The Commando training was the hardest to pass: There were lots of Red Berets, quite a few sandy ones but hardly any green ones.

QED:cool:

Not quite QED.
That was more to do with the fact that parachuting is not central to the RM raison d'etre.
I knew a few booties who had done the course but it was mainly because there were a few spare slots on an existing course, it would be a crying shame to waste them, and happy soldiers are those with lots of adventurous opportunities offered.
They did'n't need to do the P Coy bit as they were deemed to have already passed an equivelent arduous selection.

Chef

LE
Not quite QED.
That was more to do with the fact that parachuting is not central to the RM raison d'etre.
I knew a few booties who had done the course but it was mainly because there were a few spare slots on an existing course, it would be a crying shame to waste them, and happy soldiers are those with lots of adventurous opportunities offered.
They did'n't need to do the P Coy bit as they were deemed to have already passed an equivelent arduous selection.
I think some of you have missed the briefing on 'banter' and general teasing of people:)

IIRC 4 Para lose some lads on ops and many were decroated
'Decroated'? That sounds like what was going on in Bosnia Herzegovina during the 90s!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Oyibo

LE
Would they give that sort of information to agencies outside the military with the exception of Police, Security Services etc. These days I thought it would be covered by data protection.

In a word - no.

It is the shame of the public decroating ceremony that really hurts, particularly after having worked hard to earn your croating honours. Watch the opening scene from Branded to get a sense of the humiliation.

I'm sure there is a Dave Allen sketch, where a disgraced officer is getting drummed out of his barracks. When breaking the sword in two, the CO cuts his own leg off.

Latest Threads