Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Or 49 Para.

49 don't use chutes at any height under 800 ft, they use a knotted hankie. Anything higher and they use a DPM umbrella. Think a hairier, nastier version of Mary Poppins.

The_Duke

LE
FOC. The maroon lid is not a qual. Anyone serving in the brigade - winged up or otherwise - wears the lid. It's been like that for as long as I can remember. And I've never heard of 4, 10 or 15 being referred to as 'hats'. Never.
Neither have I. And that is having served in 3 of the 4 current battalions at some time or another.

The_Duke

LE
Which is caused by fustration and anger as the last AAPC team leaves the first Para Reg recruit team far behind on the P Company tests, and knowing that AAPC is harder and test week a day longer.

But lets not say too much about that.
They must have put on quite a spurt considering that AAPC and Para Regt recruit course P Coy are not run at the same time.

The term 'hat' (from the Latin 'crap hat') refers to anyone not qualified to wear the red (maroon) beret. However, someone who has passed P Coy but is not Parachute Regiment is still a crap hat. Also referred to as 'a hat with wings'. They tend to include 4 Para in that.
They protest too much.....

Neither have I. And that is having served in 3 of the 4 current battalions at some time or another.
Interesting. I have been on courses etc with regular Para Reg and as well as calling me a hat, some of them said it about TA regiment as well. Maybe just the opinion of a few individuals.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
That seems to have been no more than a battalion plus jump landing onto an airfield already held by friendly forces, with the rest being air landed.
I've got a copy of the airlift plan for that somewhere - most impressive.

Which is caused by fustration and anger as the last AAPC team leaves the first Para Reg recruit team far behind on the P Company tests, and knowing that AAPC is harder and test week a day longer.

Does completing a 'harder' and day longer course to a 'higher standard' than the Reg cause you anger and frustration that you're still a despised Hat?

Does completing a 'harder' and day longer course to a 'higher standard' than the Reg cause you anger and frustration that you're still a despised Hat?
Does anybody really care about being called a hat? I was a scalie and that's about as hat as it gets, did I give a flying one? Of course I didn't. If anything I was happy not to deal with the tedium of the "para brotherhood". I was attached to paras in Forkhill and Marines in Ballykelly. Of the two, I found the marines to be the better troops.

Does anybody really care about being called a hat? I was a scalie and that's about as hat as it gets, did I give a flying one? Of course I didn't. If anything I was happy not to deal with the tedium of the "para brotherhood". I was attached to paras in Forkhill and Marines in Ballykelly. Of the two, I found the marines to be the better troops.

Par Avion seems to care.

Why else would we be repeatedly regaled with his claims of superiority?

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

AAPC used to stand for African Auxiliary Pioneer Corps !

1591694640724.png

The_Duke

LE
Interesting. I have been on courses etc with regular Para Reg and as well as calling me a hat, some of them said it about TA regiment as well. Maybe just the opinion of a few individuals.
As I have said on other threads, some really embrace the reserve element, some reserve judgement until the individual proves their worth (or otherwise) and some will never be convinced about the value of the reserve. Quite often, those who are fresh out of the factory are very anti because they are still full of depot hype. Others who are totally anti are not always the super soldiers that they like to think themselves to be. "4 Hat" is far from a common turn of phrase. I have heard STAB, part timer and all of the others you would expect, but never 4 Hat.

Every Para thread has the obligatory " I saw them get filled in by kids " , " us chefs beat them on a tab" or " I was in the Sea Scouts and the training was the same as Para depot".

No one believes these stories so don't bother.

Dr Death

War Hero
Hi Guys, I was considering joining 4 PARA as it seemed like a really good challenge and much harder than the other reserves (except RMR) to gain entry but I was wondering as an ex regular we use to give the TA a hard time and didn’t really respect them to much back in the earlier 2000’s. Just wondering what the reputation was for 4 PARA and if it was the same maroon machine you get to wear with pride?
TA?
I think you need to know they are now called the Army Reserve?
As in one Army - Regular & Reserve its a motto the CGS likes.

Euclid

War Hero
Back to the question of respect. There are twats in the regulars and twats in the reserves; neither has a monopoly. And units wax and wane in terms of reputation - good or bad CO/RSM/officer’s mess/Sgts mess - few good operational tours etc.

I’ve served alongside TA individuals on ops and the majority were good blokes wanting to do a good job. Those regulars that run down reservists as a default position (as opposed to obligatory piss-taking) are generally towards the lower end of the talent pool in my experience.

Do a good job, work hard, enjoy it, don’t be a cock, and you’ll earn respect. And who gives a fcuk at being called a hat? It’s unimportant and would be an odd thing to worry about.

Latest Threads