Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi Guys, I was considering joining 4 PARA as it seemed like a really good challenge and much harder than the other reserves (except RMR) to gain entry but I was wondering as an ex regular we use to give the TA a hard time and didn’t really respect them to much back in the earlier 2000’s. Just wondering what the reputation was for 4 PARA and if it was the same maroon machine you get to wear with pride?

Yes. End off

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
I would choose RMR as a longer term plan.

At some point in the future it will be realised the The Parachute Reg is an expensive luxury.
There whole raison d'etre is parachuting, a largely out moded and little practiced delivery system.

RMR may even get you some sea time and travel if you are fortunate

At some point in the future it will be realised the The Parachute Reg is an expensive luxury.
There whole raison d'etre is parachuting, a largely out moded and little practiced delivery system.

And your parachute wings if you like. Win win.

The term 'hat' (from the Latin 'crap hat') refers to anyone not qualified to wear the red (maroon) beret. However, someone who has passed P Coy but is not Parachute Regiment is still a crap hat. Also referred to as 'a hat with wings'. They tend to include 4 Para in that.
Which is caused by fustration and anger as the last AAPC team leaves the first Para Reg recruit team far behind on the P Company tests, and knowing that AAPC is harder and test week a day longer.

But lets not say too much about that.

Which is caused by fustration and anger as the last AAPC team leaves the first Para Reg recruit team far behind on the P Company tests, and knowing that AAPC is harder and test week a day longer.

But lets not say too much about that.
You just made that up didn't you ?

You little tinker you.

I think the international trend is to move more towards the 75th Ranger Regiment mode. Hence the SFSG, Australian 2 Commando Regiment. The Canadian Special Operations Regiment.

The Australians took 3 RAR off its Parachute status as it reckoned that it would be unlikely there would be more than Company sized static line jumps, which could be handled by 2 Cdo Regt.

How many Airborne operations have been larger than a battalion since WW2? Korea in 1950 by the US Airborne, and Dien Bien Phu by the French - and look how that went.

The term 'hat' (from the Latin crapatus hatus) refers to anyone who is not badged Parachute Regiment. However, someone who has passed P Coy but is not Parachute Regiment is still a crap hat. Also referred to as 'a hat with wings'. They tend to include 4 Para in that.

FOC. The maroon lid is not a qual. Anyone serving in the brigade - winged up or otherwise - wears the lid. It's been like that for as long as I can remember. And I've never heard of 4, 10 or 15 being referred to as 'hats'. Never.

Latest Threads