Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Taffd, Oct 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Posted here because I'm assuming the answer's probably obvious and thus the quezzie might be bone, but amongst any probably warranted hectoring I'd quite like to know the actual answer.

Why does military parachuting require an arduous course as preparation?
  2. Dunno. Didn't the French end up dropping guys by parachute into Dien Bien Phu during the siege with no training whatsoever and they suffered no more drop injuries than their trained para battalions? So it can't be because of that element.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. [wahshield]

Maybe because the amount of gear you have to carry, espescially when the drops aren't accurate?

4. Please hold, a man from the internet will be along in a moment......Your call is important to us
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Because if your 20 stone and got the lungs of a hamster you may have a job tabbing off a dz?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. It's because when they aren't leaping out of aircraft they have fuck all to do except run around carrying logs and swinging about like chimps on ropes and stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

It's all part of the romance. Deep at heart, these chaps are very sensitive.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Can I take it that it's the role of para trained types that require it then, rather than the actual jumping bit?
  9. yes
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ta.
  11. There are plenty of other military parachutists that don't go through the P Coy route to qualify to jump; there's almost as many threads about them all.
  12. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Because you need to do the course to wear the badge and you get to call everybody else hat.
  13. [Wah shield up] The reasoning goes that a paratrooper has to carry more kit; can only move on foot once he's on the ground; has to move quickly from the DZ to the battle quickly to take advantage of maximum surprise; and may be dropped behind enemy lines and have to hold the objective whilst waiting for a link up or relief in place or have to fight from a hot DZ. However, this doesn't actually differ that much from either the non-parachute trained air assault battalions in 16 AA Bde, or even from any other light infantry battalion. One could argue that any light infantry battalion could do the role if it was just about aggression and fitness-the US Army, and I think our own in WW2, don't have any particularly strenuous or exceptional selection course. Also by this line of reasoning it would seem illogical to put all CS and CSS troops through the course when many of them would never actually have to jump.

However, the benefit of P Coy is in less tangible terms-giving the men of 16 Bde a common hurdle to pass and hence a sense of pride and elitism that every man has done so (although the truth is, of course, that many in 16 Bde haven't).

NB Remember P Coy is the selection for Airborne Forces, I.e in it's modern forn 16 Bde. The training course to become a military parachutist is Basic Para, although there are others, and there are many routes to qualify for these, not just P Coy: AA Cdo Cse, SF, SD (as was), RAF Pre Para, RN Submarine Parachute Assistance Group, and also pure operational need.[Wah shield down]
  14. Although you sound like a whining, nagging woman I do wonder if you've ever heard of the 'period?'
  15. I thought it was the RAF which where the sensitive souls...