Arctic windproof trousers question.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Yorkie1970, Jul 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if arctic windproof trousers can be proofed with nikwax?
    Or does it impair their windproofing ability?

Cheers,
    Andy

2. honest answer is I don't know, however providing you use a spray on it shouldn't affect them - spray on sits on top of the fabric and forms a shell over the garment, unlike wash-in which sits in the material.

that said, if you're going for Spray On, try and get some Grangers Super-Pruf, it's proclaimed (by the experts) to be better than Nikwax. I use Nikwax for footwear and Grangers for clothing, and had have never had an issue.

3. No, useing a wash in proofer will not interfere with the windproof qualities,,,if anything it may even improve them.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I never felt the need to waterproof them. I thought they were pretty good as is!

5. I notice the Arctic Trousers have a velcro boot opening. Great for getting them on and off but hard to look good with Twisties I suspect. Any coment on this?

6. Oops "Comment", sorry.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Didnt seem to have too much impact, I'll see if I can find a pic of me in them!

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I thought I had this one.

Attached Files:

9. I never proofed my trousers or my smock and never saw any need to!

They are/were made from cotton garbardine and they are designed to be windproof and very fast drying.

10. That webbing is truly old school. Haven't seen Olive Drab webbing since 1996. Where's the Photo from? Brecon/Falklands/Norway? Assume since you were cutting around in Arctic you were the dicked Arctic Support Reg for NATO forces Norway.

Oh and I like your Dog avitar ugly.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That wasnt mine, we trialled plce in QRF coy at Kellys Garden in 1985. As I was an 84 man I had an smg so I took 58 pattern. The PLCE was gash, wouldnt hold together and pouches were no good for SLRs then!
    Mine is on the left next to me!
    Oh and the dog is Sampson when he was about 10 weeks old, he is about 5 now and a cracking dog.

12. Always found the windies great out of the box. If you wore them without washing them then they seemed to stay pretty showerproof. Eventually getting that sheen of oil, grease and dirt that is in itself a waterproofing agent ! Much as in Ugly's very Ally photo.

If you keep washing them they stay windproof but loose the showerproofing.

Mind that was the gaberdine ones I'm talking about and not that cr@p they seem to have been issuing since the 90's.

D_B