Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did any of you guys serve in Norway during the coldwar?

The coldest temperature I experienced there was minus 45°C and with the windchill it was minus 73°C. Yes, bloody freeeeeeeeeezing.

During arctic warfare training -30°C is meant to be the temperature where training stops. However, this particular day we were in the mountains in snow holes. When they flew us off the mountain it was -46°C. Back at Elvergardsmoen (nicknamed windy city) it was -73°C with the windchill. At this point we went indoors. Unfortunately, we did lose a few people that year. Two were killed when a snow hole caved in. One exfixiated from Naptha Fumes in the back of an oversnow vehicle and a number of Norwegian allies got killed in an avalanche.

The principles to keep warm are: C.O.L.D.

C = Keep your clothing clean. i.e. clean clothing holds small pcokets of warm air.
    O = Avoid over heating. i.e. When you get hot whilst on the move, remove layers of clothing.
    L = Use the layer principle. i.e. More layers of clothing provide greater warmth for the body.
    D = Keep your clothing dry. i.e. we clothing will freeze

The principles were there, but it was still bloomin freezing!!! 8O

Steve

2. CDO LOG REGT 94,95,96

artic warfare trained never again thank god

3. And you're telling us this because....? Something to prove?

4. No just proving how stupid I was to do it three years running

5. Rayc

Rayc RIP

Steven

Come over to Siachen.

It is better for real training including being arty shelled!

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Since when? If 'Hairy Arrsed Ruskie' is coming at you do you just stop when the temp dips to the DS level? If the answer is No we don't then why should the training stop then? Built my snowholes and igloos, skied uphill, skied downhill in the dark, just like thousands of AMF(L) squaddies.

7. Ice breaking drills Cant see much use for them in my Army career Bloody emotional though
    Now i know why cam whites have clown buttons.

8. [​IMG]

Always had you marked as an uphill gardener? Although no doubt your "Double pole" technique earns you many a can of Tenants down the park with the other "Surplus" callsigns.... :lol:

9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

MY Easter weekend is complete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harry W is back i=on the drivel

10. Tell me about it. I'm still trying to figure out why the RN made me do the arctic surival course a few years ago.....

11. did mine with some bird from the medics going just before me wearing just her poly whites and no t-shirt, got a good perv when she got out of the water and was doing the wet poly white competition 36DD

12. Pic's anyone ????????? :D :D