Arctic Convoys to finally get medal, promises PM.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by chocolate_frog, Dec 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. about time too!

2. C'mon! We've all seen "Ice road truckers," it's a doddle.....even that young inbred blonde bint can do it.

3. Unfortunately,the awards will come too late for a lot of Matelots.

4. Bomber Command next, then?

• Like Like x 1
  5. I don't believe a single word he (Cameron) says.

6. CMD has a habit of jumping on band wagons, but in this case I don’t mind. The Arctic convoys and Bomber command lads should have got their own medals or clasps years ago. I’m just sad so many have now passed away without ever knowing they got the recognition they were due.

7. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The Polar Medal.

The Polar Medal is a medal awarded by the Sovereign of the United Kingdom. It was instituted in 1857 as the Arctic Medal and renamed the Polar Medal in 1904.

The medal is octagonal in shape with a white ribbon. The reverse of the original Arctic Medal showed a three-masted ship surrounded by ice floes. The die for the medal was engraved by Leonard Charles Wyon. A new design by Ernest Gillick was used from 1904, showing RRS Discovery, with a sledging party in the foreground. The obverse bears a portrait of the reigning monarch.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

8. Don't get me wrong I have long been disgusted by the lack of recognition for the bomber crews, but I am not so sure about the arctic convoys on the grounds that they got the Atlantic star for doing the same thing as the rest of the lads manning the convoys.
    It is a bit like me wanting another gong to differentiate between tours in Londonderry and Fermanagh.

• Like Like x 3
  9. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

The Bomber Command clasp seems a fair and sensible compromise but an Arctic Convoy Medal seems like a sop to special pleading. Why not a Mediterranean Convoy Medal, or a Chindit Medal, or an SOE Medal, or an SF/Raiders Medal - all of which were on a par with the Russian Convoys in terms of risk and hardship and all of which were equally important.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hope they get the medal. No doubt twats will reignite the NDM!

11. Surely it will be a campaign star on a par with the Italy, France & Germany, Atlantic etc?