Arctic Convoys and Battle of Britain Medal

Discussion in 'Medals' started by exbleep, Feb 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just announced that a medal for those who served in WW2 north of the Arctic Circle will be awarded. Now, my Dad was 17 on the very day that war broke out and serving as a merchant seaman. He did his bit on the convoys and will be 91 this year. I can't imagine many survivors will still be around to receive this. Possibly the same with the Battle of Britain clasp.

250,000 veterans of Arctic convoys and Bomber Command to be honoured - Telegraph

2. About time. Shame that most of them aren't here to collect it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Damn right it's about time. If an award to politicians was being considered, the ***** would fall over themselves to get it designed, approved, struck and awarded by the time the ink was dry on the proposal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Why now? Cost? I think my grandpa would be elligible. He was badly injured but not sure how far North he was.

5. I'll be claiming it on behalf of my grandfather. I already claimed the shitty Arctic Pin, so I'm hoping I won't have to prove his eligability and that I'm his next of kin once again. I know very little of his service, but have a certifcate for his entry into the Order of the Bluenose for crossing the Arctic Circle aboard HMS CAMPANIA. I bet it was fecking cold!

6. Just sent the link to my father, would anyone be able to answer his questions below please? I have no paperwork for him (my grand father) and I dont know of any. We have some photos I think. I know he was injured I think they were attacked and he was blown/fell into the ship's hold and was left permanently/partly crippled by the experience.

I have just opened the link and read the details ---- well done for making the connection with Frederick Nix.
    Frederick was in the Merchant Navy during the war and sailed to and from Russian Ports in very icy conditions --- he used to give me a lift back to Leyland from Preston in the evenings sometimes --- and told me harrowing stories of conditions on board.
    I’m sure he must be eligible for the Arctic Star but it will be difficult to come up with proof --- assume we would need details of the ships he served on etc. etc. I assume he sailed from Preston Docks but not sure.
    Do you have any ideas on how we could go about a search for information --- we will be in Preston for a Leyland Reunion in April.

7. The Russian Convoy Medal

To claim medals that have not been issued, or to request the replacement of medals lost either by theft or destroyed by fire (see below for special instructions), please write to the Medal Office at the address below. The following information (or as much as possible) will be required:
    Service Number, Regiment/Corps (Army/RM), Branch/Trade (RAF and RN), Full Name, Date of Birth, Rank and date of discharge, plus, of course, your current name and address.

All information about medals issued to First World War veterans is held at the National Archive at Kew.

Claims for medals for service in the Home Guard are also dealt with by the MOD Medal Office.
    Contact the Ministry of Defence Medal Office at the following address:

Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA)
    (Joint Personnel Administration Centre)
    MOD Medal Office
    Innsworth House
    Imjin Barracks
    Gloucester
    GL3 1 HW
    Email SPVA-Medals@mod.uk

JPAC Enquiry Centre
    Email: Medals@SPVA.mod.uk
    Fax: 0141 224 3586
    Free Phone: 0800 085 3600
    Overseas Civ: +44 (0) 141 224 3600
    Mil 94560 3600
    Medal Application (For non -serving personnel)
    http://www.veterans-uk.info/pdfs/medals/medal_application.pdf

8. Thank you, we'll have a look into that.

9. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

10. Not clear if your Dad is eligible from your post exbleep? If so, good luck to him and about bloody time!

11. Not that I have seen. Is there really an arbitrary limit on the number of WW2 stars one individual can hold (as opposed to specific rules like not being able to hold both the Burma Star and the Pacific Star)?

12. Probably similar dress regs to;

Atlantic Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

13. Eight different campaign stars were issued for the Second World War. Apart from some Commonwealth issues, these were issued unnamed. It was decided that the maximum number of stars that could be earned by any one person was five, while those who qualified for more received a clasp to be sewn on to the ribbon of the appropriate star.
    Only one clasp per ribbon was permitted which was the first to be earned after qualifying for the star.
    The stars are listed with the associated clasps in brackets:

1939-45 (Battle of Britain)

Atlantic (Air Crew Europe or France and Germany)

Air Crew Europe (Atlantic or France and Germany)

Africa (North Africa 1942-43, 8th Army or 1st Army)

Pacific (Burma)

Burma (Pacific)

Italy (None)

France and Germany (Atlantic)

The ribbons are believed to have been designed by King George VI personally and have symbolic significance in each case. When ribbons alone are worn, the clasp is denoted by a silver rosette, the Battle of Britain by represented by a gilt rosette.

Obviously, this will be the 9th to be issued.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)