Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arcteryx or Fjallraven?

I am looking at replacing my hard shell and insulated jacket in the near future and am undecided which to go for.

My choices that I am looking at are the Arcteryx Alpha AR/SV or the Fjallraven Keb Eco shell for the hard shell and the Arcteryx Cerium Hoody LT/AR as the insulation layer.

I appreciate that I have to try these on which could change my opinion but would like to know if others have used either jackets and their opinions of them.

The main areas of use would be Wales and the Lake District but also with a possible trip to Lap Land next Christmas.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I fell for the Keb eco shell and bought from amazon and a good price. However, it was replaced at it leaked through the pockets badly. To cut a long story short I had 3 of these jackets and were all returned with the same problem. I am now waiting for a full refund. I have bought an Arcteryx Beta AR which is very waterproof but wonder if I should have considered a Paramo Alta iii
Terry B UK

I used to wear a big green wool Fjallravmeuinm coat in the 1990's. Cost a months wages trade price but was great for shooting, fishing and hunting.

I probably looked a right tit as I lived in Hammersmith at the time.

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
Thanks for the replies. In all honesty I could not decide which so I went off on a tangent purchasing a Montane Extreme jacket and am very pleased with it.

Thanks for the replies. In all honesty I could not decide which so I went off on a tangent purchasing a Montane Extreme jacket and am very pleased with it.
I’ve had the smock for several years (just bought my 3rd), it gets used for everything, usually by itself or over a merino layer if there’s going to be extended standing around. If you take a swim in it, wring it out, put it back on, jog on... Decent pockets, works with all my harnesses, seals out wind, water and flying sand but vents easily. The zip on hood is an improvement on the old style and works with helmets, sleeve pocket is a bit small imho but ok for a space pen... The fleece can be brushed up to restore the insulation but will eventually wear thin. My original has the lining cut out and works as a (disreputable looking) wind proof.
Recommended.

I’ve had the smock for several years (just bought my 3rd), it gets used for everything, usually by itself or over a merino layer if there’s going to be extended standing around. If you take a swim in it, wring it out, put it back on, jog on... Decent pockets, works with all my harnesses, seals out wind, water and flying sand but vents easily. The zip on hood is an improvement on the old style and works with helmets, sleeve pocket is a bit small imho but ok for a space pen... The fleece can be brushed up to restore the insulation but will eventually wear thin. My original has the lining cut out and works as a (disreputable looking) wind proof.
Recommended.
Alpkit are going to produce their own version - Jura Mountain Smock [Mens] Pile fleece-lined windshirt

I'm interested as I'm normally a hot sweaty mess before most people and the zips up to armpits look interesting as opposed to the Montane zips to bottom of rib cage. My Montane smock will still get regular use but I'm looking for something to use September-November rather than just dead of winter.

TamH70

MIA
Alpkit are going to produce their own version - Jura Mountain Smock [Mens] Pile fleece-lined windshirt

I'm interested as I'm normally a hot sweaty mess before most people and the zips up to armpits look interesting as opposed to the Montane zips to bottom of rib cage. My Montane smock will still get regular use but I'm looking for something to use September-November rather than just dead of winter.

That really doesn't look much different to the Buffalo mountain shirts to me.

That really doesn't look much different to the Buffalo mountain shirts to me.
True, it's all minor variations on the Buffalo pertex and pile idea. I had a Buffalo active shirt but couldn't get on with it, the cuffs were too narrow to wear above the elbows and the tail was ridiculously long on me.

My default approach is still a smelly Helly, a 5 quid Millets fleece and a windproof which works like a Buffalo but I can add/remove layers as necessary. I just like shiny kit :)

TamH70

MIA
True, it's all minor variations on the Buffalo pertex and pile idea. I had a Buffalo active shirt but couldn't get on with it, the cuffs were too narrow to wear above the elbows and the tail was ridiculously long on me.

My default approach is still a smelly Helly, a 5 quid Millets fleece and a windproof which works like a Buffalo but I can add/remove layers as necessary. I just like shiny kit :)

You have a wooly bear Helly Hansen?

I've been after one of those for ages.

You have a wooly bear Helly Hansen?

I've been after one of those for ages.
Nope, just several horrible polypropylene shirts, plus the merino one I'm wearing now. I'm coming round to merino baselayers, they're more expensive but take a lot more effort to get revolting. I reckon I could do 4 days in a merino top before I would be kicked out of a pub for being offensively smelly whereas I could get the same effect with a Helly in a few hours.

Exhibit A:
helly.jpg

Paramo pit zips start at about the elbow and go up. Their mountain shirts have matching zips for only slightly pervy looking ventilation.

Paramo pit zips start at about the elbow and go up. Their mountain shirts have matching zips for only slightly pervy looking ventilation.
Any views on Paramo kit? I've always swerved it as it looked very expensive compared to other stuff and my gear tends to get abused if I lend it to teenagers.

Recommended.

Had both of mine for around 13+ years, both still going, if not strong, then at least well. They went through it for three serious arctic quality winters when I was up in Pennsylvania, and I mean serious. I generally only wear a single layer underneath, usually a merino t-shirt. I have the older style velcro on hoods and never use them I prefer a headover (tubey) and a hat - the hood does not move with my head and creates blindspots so the hat and tubey combo works better for me.

I am a member of REI sports/outdoor supllies here and get an annual dividend and discount coupons. I hve trotted along a couple of times and tried on the Arc'teryx stuff as my combined discounts made them quite tempting. The problem was the commercial stuff does not fit me. I have had opportunity to wear the issued LEAF stuff and the jacket of the issue gear fits me really well, for some reason the commercial jackets don't, so I won't be buying any Arc'teryx anyway.

Any views on Paramo kit? I've always swerved it as it looked very expensive compared to other stuff and my gear tends to get abused if I lend it to teenagers.
It’s waterproof and it fits me, pit zips hood and pockets are good. Needs cleaning and proofing regularly. Often on sale in GoOutdoors who will also give you 10% off for Blue Light or Defence Discount cards. I have ‘crisp packet’ waterproofs to lend to others.

Latest Threads