Arc'teryx LEAF - Worth the difference

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by Travelgall, Jan 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I tried on a couple of their items and really loved how light they were. I've just ordered one of their fleeces from the States and am looking at a Talos Halfshell - all I can afford as a wind resistant underlayer. Does anybody else have an opinion on whether they are worth the difference over 5.11 or Blackhawk.

2. I have the Alpha Goretex LEAF, it's mega!....expensive, but mega!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

3. Put in an order for an Arc'Teryx LEAF Talos Halfshell in Multicam. $150.00 Plus $40.00 Shipping. So £120.00 including shipping. I'll feed back if its any good.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Piccies please!

• Like Like x 1
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well it looks good but why buy something when issue tissue seems perfectly adequate?

6. Yup. LEAF is even more expensive than the Civvy Stuff - especially once Crye Precision have had their cut. That said I love their Atom Jacket as it weighs as much as 2 pubic hairs. If they did it in Multicam for the same price as the Civvy colours I would be tempted.

7. Issue Tissue sucks for under clothing. Those minging Brown shirts that trap smells and sweat.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Might smell rotten but is free!

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Price, cost and value are all relative! I have a coat that cost the wife £399.00 and its not for shooting or crawling around the uluu in! Would you wear a £600 coat for such rough and tumble when the man at Q&M gives away perfectly good ones?

10. I have one of the Taiga triple layered goretex jackets that retail for £550. Happily, I didn't pay for it. Twice as expensive as other 'quality' goretex jackets, I have to say that it is more than twice as good and economy of scale comes into effect.

However, if i was doing more than just climbing and hiking in it where its' getting damaged was a certainty, there's no way i'd use it if I had had to pay for it.

For underlayers, then merino wool or knitted silk beats the pants off everything else and is far cheaper than the LEAF stuff. 2 M&S thin merino wool jumpers at £39 each are actually far warmer and more flexible for layering than one fleece and you don't get 'that' smell every time they get worn for a few hours. Just but one at your normal size and the other a size up. Much less bukly for stowing in your bergan too. Sometimes progress isn't a step forwards .......

A lot of the latest Gucci kit is expensive for 2 reasons; first is it is higher quality and being made in the USA or Europe where labour costs are higher. Second is that rather like the pharma companies selling to the NHS, there is a HUGE mark up because it's the Govt paying for it.

And in my very humble opinion, softshells are a classic case of Emperor's new clothes. Maybe ok for trousers where legs getting wet is no big deal but for the jackets, they are a compromise in all things :)

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

When Goretex first hit the man at Q&M about 1987 it cost about 30 quid to go diffy but you were 252'd as they were starred items. Try buying one in anyshop such as NAAFI etc for less than 120 quid! The MoD did get discount in bulk and billed diffies accordingly. Civvy shops add 100% mark up as a minimum for most items regardless of cost and any new products cost more due to getting manufacturing up to speed.
    What you pay £400 notes for costs US$400 retail and wholesale about half of that. The extra costs are all tax and import duties!