• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Archway brigade

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
With the current rash of items in the media regarding OP Banner I was wondering if anyone else knew of IRA presence in North London or in your area at all .

Archway on the A1 has the Archway Tavern a jolly little Irish pub where bucket collections for the 'rah' were conducted on a regular basis. Also where ex Squaddies were told if you don't put in the bucket you don't drink in Here . The answer being if you don't want yer windows put in and a lot of police activity here **** orf. A slight nod from a bloke in the bar indicated to the collectors to move on .
Just down the road a bit we had the Aggression Rooms ( the Gresham rooms) where paddies have been drinking and fighting since the early 50's buckets passed and the Soldiers song played at the end of an evenings entertainment . ( whaddya mean you doan wanna dance whet the feck are yew here for then biddy?) The local Keebab shops and the like mostly had NORIAD fruit machines
in them and " The Favorite " was "well known" to be owned by the IRA and used to launder money , no collections allowed nor rebel songs . We were bombed in the offices of the local Newspaper and a few miles away at Ponders End Gasworks . Semtex was found dumped in the New River not too far from Archway as well . B coy Archway IRA had been sprayed on a few walls as well as the " troops out " paintwork.

All this was going on in reasonable public view and everyone assumed all these locations were being monitored by the MI5 and the branch. But were they ? Are there any books that profiled the activities of the IRA in the UK ,apart from ASU's? Does anyone know more stories about this activity?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Kilburn was a hive of IRA activity as well. I went to one pub (mentioned below) before I joined up with a couple of Irish girls I worked with, at the end of the night, it was expected of everyone to stand for the RoI national anthem as well as chuck some pennies in the bucket as well (not alledgedly as referred to in the article). As you can imagine a bloke with a broad South London accent didn't go down to well with the locals until it was explained to them that I was with regular customers and was a guest, the barman, in particular, took offence to my accent and refused to serve me.
Biddy Mulligan's pub bombing - Wikipedia

Back in the day (late 70s) when I was on leave a mate took me out for a spin on his new motorbike. We stopped off at a pub in Reading for a pint and a sarnie before heading back to London.

IRA grafitti on the walls in the toilet and Irish accents at the bar. We didn't stay long.

I used to work in Hale near Altrincham. There is a pub there by the railway station that is/was owned by a UDA/UFF bod. After the GFA releases that reptile Adair was in there a few times & seen wandering in the village. A mate of mine lived only a couple of doors away from the boozer & was very active in the local community so got the gen on this new bloke in town so to speak. He told me & when we all went out for a curry one night I was gobsmacked to see Adair as bold as brass.

There used to be an Irish pub in Liverpool that is now long gone & the tri-colours & collections plates were there all the time along with almost nightly live entertainment which was some tedious chip on their should spacker singing 'rebel' songs. Has to be said going in there with mates for pre-works do drinks was a tad unnerving.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Kilburn was a hive of IRA activity as well. I went to one pub (mentioned below) before I joined up with a couple of Irish girls I worked with, at the end of the night, it was expected of everyone to stand for the RoI national anthem as well as chuck some pennies in the bucket as well (not alledgedly as referred to in the article). As you can imagine a bloke with a broad South London accent didn't go down to well with the locals until it was explained to them that I was with regular customers and was a guest, the barman, in particular, took offence to my accent and refused to serve me.
I lived in the area and never heard of that bombing , allthough i was in Germany in 74 . Amazing innit .

McGoverns pub on Kilburn High Rd was a drinking establishment of some repute of yesteryear.

As a student in Coventry from 89 to 92 there was a lot of IRA/IPLO (remember them?) graffiti in the Stoke area, with some in the city centre. Apparently there was also UDA/UVF graffiti in the Wood End area but i never went there.

The Tam O'Shanter Burns Club was supposed to be the local Republican hang out. A lad on my course went there one night with a lad from NI and was expected to stand at the end of the night for the RIP National Anthem. The lad from NI claimed to have seen the aftermath of the SAS ambush that killed the Ballygawley bombers. He also didn't return to complete his final year. The story being that he was doing five years for membership.

I also used to go shooting with an ex-RAF bloke who owned a pawn broker in Birmingham. He told me that when he first arrived in Coventry in 79, six weeks after leaving the RAF, he went to the Hope and Anchor pub. He had a tin shoved under his nose with the words "Help kill a British soldier." on the side. When I was there ten years later that sort of thing didn't happen. In fact we used to get Monday night lock ins after shooting with the landlord.

@CutLunchCommando might have more information on the subject as he was there at the same time as me.

Not aware of the Grafitti at all but I rarely went out past Gosford Green. I recall the Irish Society playing up to sterotype for a while but the only really significant item I recall was a Sinn Fein type coming to speak at the SU sponsored by the Law Society ISTR. My mates were most disappointed when I didn't attack him on sight.
Many of the pubs had an Irish slant (I will never forget the cheer I heard from the pub across the road when Packie Bonner saved the penalty in the World Cup) but I was never aware of any tin rattling.

a previous Mayor of Brisbane Jim Sorley, was a staunch IRA and Sinn Ffein supporter, when he was in office he invited jerry adams and mr mcginteys red haired goat,for a publicity tour ,here to the local green hostelries and pubs,when I personally confronted him , in public I was told it was none of my fxxxxxxing business and thrown out of the meeting

Archway tavern used to have fund raisers for de cause on Sunday afternoon early 1980s before the licencing act changed. Sunday afternoon lock ins all proceeds to IRA. Around the same time the Gresham on Holloway road used to have scumbags selling Sinn Fein propaganda shit on the street outside on Friday and Saturday nights. There was also another pub on Liverpool road nearby that used to do fund raisers for terrorists as well can't remember its name though