Archimedes heat ray used in London

BBC News - 'Walkie-Talkie' skyscraper melts Jaguar car parts

[h=1]'Walkie-Talkie' skyscraper melts Jaguar car parts[/h]

Mr Lindsay said his car's wing mirror, panels and Jaguar badge had melted

A new London skyscraper dubbed the "Walkie Talkie" has been blamed for reflecting light which melted parts of a car parked on a nearby street.

Martin Lindsay parked his Jaguar on Eastcheap, in the City of London, on Thursday afternoon.
When he returned about two hours later, he found parts of his car - including the wing mirror and badge - had melted.

Mr Lindsay said he "could not believe" the damage. The developers have apologised and paid for repairs.
The 37-storey skyscraper at 20 Fenchurch Street, which has been nicknamed the "Walkie Talkie" because of its shape, is currently under construction.

'Dangerous' Mr Lindsay, director of tiling company Moderna Contracts Ltd, said: "I was walking down the road and saw a photographer taking photos and asked, 'what's happening?'

20 Fenchurch Street which has been nicknamed the "Walkie-Talkie"

"The photographer asked me 'have you seen that car? The owner won't be happy.'

"I said: 'I am the owner. Crikey, that's awful.'"

The wing mirror, panels and Jaguar badge had all melted, Mr Lindsay said.

"You can't believe something like this would happen," he added. "They've got to do something about it.
"It could be dangerous. Imagine if the sun reflected on the wrong part of the body.

"On the windscreen, there was a note from the construction company saying 'your car's bucked, could you give us a call?'"

In a joint statement, developers Land Securities and Canary Wharf said: "We are aware of concerns regarding the light reflecting from 20 Fenchurch Street and are looking into the matter.

"As a precautionary measure, the City of London has agreed to suspend three parking bays in the area which may be affected while we investigate the situation further."

Mr Lindsay said the developers had apologised and agreed to sort out the £946 repair costs.

"Eastcheap"...shouldn't have parked where it's cheap then.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Well....it's an English car, innit? :)
Doesn't matter - I'd forgotten about that thing. OP, well reminded.

Archimedes used it to burn Romans like ants in their ships during the seige of Syracuse, he also invented a sort of a crane thing to tip the ******* out of their boats. The Romans invented some pretty cool stuff too, floating seige engines. I seem to remember they built a huge tower on wheels, but I can't find reference to it.

It's a pretty good read. Siege of Syracuse (214–212 BC) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't see what the punter is moaning about to tell you the truth. :? Don't all Jags look like that these days? :? As for the building that supposedly caused the damage, it's not that bad looking, but if it has to come down for Health and Safety reasons, I'll bet if CMD would ask Angela Merkle, she probably could rustle up a few of these things. One never knows what might be lying about in the odd Bavarian mine.

Rocket-V2-41.jpg

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Brilliantly stupid oversight.
It's turning into a death ray:

What’s frying at Walkie Scorchie? - Telegraph

Our intrepid reporter:

On Tuesday afternoon, I was sent out to see if I could fry an egg in the heat, a task that I presumed was impossible on an overcast September day. But, not only was it possible, I had to run out of the death ray that was slowly cooking my egg, because the thinning hairs on my head started to catch fire. The distinctive smell of burning follicles, combined with the sensation of a magnifying glass being shone on my pate, forced me to take cover along the road.
The local barber:

Ali Akay of Re-Style barbers, opposite the tower, told me he was “too stressed” to talk, but confirmed his carpet was burnt on Tuesday and many of the plastic bottles of shampoo and hair gel in the window had started to melt.
And the local cafe:

Diana Pham, assistant manager of the next-door Viet Cafe, admitted she was enjoying the extra trade from office workers swapping their lunchtime sunbed for five minutes of UV from the Towering Inferno. But four slate tiles, which clad the outside of her café, have popped off the building in the last two days, and her furniture is starting to cook.

“The chairs started to smell, very, very bad, like they were burning. We thought something terrible was happening,” she says. The upholstery of the chairs in the windows is starting to gently fricassee.
And its got serious power:

Dr Simon Foster, a solar physicist, accidentally left his measuring equipment in a black bag on the pavement for 10 minutes on Tuesday. The thermometer read 92.6C (198.7F). “It’s insane. It’s just ridiculous. I’ve never felt heat like it,” he says.
Never mind cooking an egg, you could probably make a cup of tea...

Wordsmith

To put it into persective, though, it's generally expected that cladding in UK can reach temperatures of up to 85C (subject to colour and texture) so the building may only be contributing 8 degrees.

A joint statement added: "We are also continuing to evaluate longer-term solutions to ensure this issue does not recur in future."
Simple. Provide the window cleaners with diamond rings. The scratches will ruin the reflectiviciousness of the glass.