Archbishop visits Strensall Barracks

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BanjoBill, Oct 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm always impressed with this chap I'm sure he'll go far.
  2. One of the few top God Botherers that is actually interested in people rather than political causes.

Hope he gets the top job before the CoE disappears up it's own arrse.
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I always understood that the CofE gave them York precisely because they weren't going to get Cantabury.
  4. He's far to radical to get the top job, just look at the last couple of wet blankets we have had heading up the CofE.
  5. Wrong colour too, sticking an ethnic in the Whitehouse is one thing, Lambeth Palace though, that's a no no...
  6. Considering 'ethnics' comprise the majority of the Anglican Communion I believe the good Arch-Bishop would be ideal for the 'top job' - he's forward thinking, vibrant, dynamic, and a brilliant man.
  7. Which is exactly why he won't get the job, and it will instead be given to another hand-wringing, mealy-mouthed, indecisive academic who has more interest in making cheap political shots rather than concentrating on the welfare of his flock.
  8. It may be more to do with the media deciding he may not be in their best interests! Somebody who says things like "Celebrity can be malign in that it becomes a form of idolatry, and people live their lives vicariously through the rich and famous rather than attending to their own lives." may be viewed with some suspicion in the hallowed halls of TV and Hello magazine. :)
  9. He's not going to have many fans in the PC/Multicultural brigade with comments like this either, and this was before promotion.

"called for a re-discovery of English pride and cultural identity, warning that zeal for multiculturalism had sometimes "seemed to imply, wrongly for me, 'let other cultures be allowed to express themselves but do not let the majority culture at all tell us its glories, its struggles, its joys, its pains'." Just as at Birmingham, Sentamu has expressed a desire to be known informally as Archbishop for York (rather than of)."