Archbishop of York's tune just ain't the Rock of Aegis

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BounceBanana, Dec 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Judging from the Gunner third from left, I can only agree with the Archbishop

"He said it was simply not possible to replace highly trained full-time forces with “part-timers”.
  2. He's probably right but if he was opining about something else people on here would more than likely be saying he should mind his own business.
  3. The man is a complete arrse.

If I was to comment on his 'odd' religion which believes that wimmin cannot hold middle and upper management positions then I would be correctly put in my place. Do the lay members of his vast congregation have lower standards than the regulars ? of course not.
    His statement/comments devalue all the TA members - many who are ex regulars. Are they not professionally trained? the normal TA members trained by /with regulars? - the ignorant cleric should be put in his place in the pulpit to instruct on matters religious not military.
  4. I don't think he is saying the TA are useless. All joking aside it isn't and it has proved that recently, perhaps most clearly in terms of medical personnel as well as filling gaps in regular units. The truth is the cuts are financially rather than strategically driven, they are leading to a larger than desirable reliance in part-timers and will inevitably weaken our defence capability.

Sentamu is a well known media tart but I suspect he has a point on this occasion. As regards your point about the CofE needing to sort out its sexual politics then I suspect he'd agree. It was the pomposity and piousness of a minority of the Layity that stopped women Bishops not the Clergy.
  5. Should there be two tiers of the ta - demarcated by a badge stating served or non-served!
  6. No need. The levels of dripping and whining coming from the ex reg versus a shiny and wide-eyed TA crow would be obvious.