Archbishop of York to parachute to rasie funds for Forces

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Infiltrator, May 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good man. I don't mind anyone being anti war as long as it doesn't go hand in hand with anti military.

He obviously has the courage of his convictions by continuing to speak out against the wars and yet at the same time shows great morale fibre by supporting our troops.

Hats off to the man, he'll get my sponsorship.
  2. He knows the Holy parachute is in the sideboard behind the Holy Hand grenade of Antioch
  3. Seems a top bloke. Someone so high profile should manage to get a fair sum. Shame that the people in government who actually supported the war have done nothing except cut the funding for the armed forces.

As a financially deprived student I'm limited in what I can give (I'll do something though), but I did send him a message of support through his website.
  4. Dr Sentamu is most definitely NOT anti-Forces. Rather a lot of Service people sat through one of his sermons a few years ago at Birmingham Cathedral where his praise of the Armed Forces and the difficult job they are called on to do, was praised in very fulsome fashion.

Good man.
  5. Legend. Pure legend.
  6. msr

msr LE

He has also come up with the elegantly simple idea that for every new law the government passes, they should strike one old one from the statue books.

More on the jump here:

7. Good drills all round then. Thats a great idea, but sadly not really possible to apply.

Turns out that if you message the guy, you get a reply from his office pretty sharpish. Message replied to this morning before normal office hours.
  8. Well done Dr Sentamu.

A man with physical courage and moral integrity - he'll never be a politician.

9. Since he doesn't seem to be in tune with the line being peddled by that utter waste of space the Archbishop of Canterbury on many, many subjects (for example Sentamu appears to be a Christian), he had better check his rigging lines personally.

Good on him - about the only Archbishop who appears to see ministry as religious work rather than social work.
  10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

How come he needs a parachute?
  11. msr

msr LE

Deuteronomy 6:16 "You shall not put the lord your god to the test"

12. Archbishop charity jump cancelled

Dr Sentamu arrived at the airfield in pouring rain and strong winds
    The Archbishop of York, John Sentamu, has been forced to abandon his charity parachute jump due to bad weather.

Dr Sentamu was to jump from 12,500ft with the Parachute Regiment's Red Devils team to raise money for families of soldiers injured in Afghanistan.

But organisers at Langar Airfield in Nottinghamshire were forced to call off the jump on Tuesday morning amid strong winds, driving rain and low cloud.

The charity tandem jump has been rescheduled to 6 June.

The archbishop, 58, had earlier arrived by helicopter with businessman and jumping partner Guy Brudenell, who originally told him about the event for the Afghanistan Trust.

It's just like somebody who has been training for a match and is told 'sorry mate, the match is off'

Rt Rev John Sentamu

Archbishop's leap of conscience
    Profile: Dr John Sentamu

The charity supports families of paratroopers from 3rd Battalion, the Parachute Regiment, who have been wounded or killed while serving in Afghanistan.

Dr Sentamu said: "It's just like somebody who has been training for a match and is told 'sorry mate, the match is off'.

"But we know we are going to come back. I am going to take the (training) video home to see it but I am ready.

"We now know another soldier has died in Afghanistan and it would have been good to have done something today, but we will come back.

"It's not for me or anybody else but for the soldiers in Afghanistan."

The Archbishop was referring to Royal Marine Dale Gostick, from the 3 Troop Armourned Support Company, who was killed in an explosion in southern Afghanistan on Sunday.

Major Nick Vischer, from the Red Devils, said they would reschedule the jump to take place at the earliest opportunity.

He said: "It's straight down to good old British weather. What we need is good visibility from a minimum of 10,000ft all the way down.

"We have not got that and the RAF Met Office have told us that there's no chance of that today."

Sad....................maybe God is trying to tell him something :?
  13. Doing the jump with the Red Devils on the 6th June.

Now THERE'S and experience not to be missed!!!
  14. I don't think they'd sound quite as ally if they were called "Heaven's Angels"