Arch Bish of Canterbury to step down - religious bloke favourite to replace him

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sunnoficarus, Mar 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

John Sentamu for a payrise!

• Like Like x 7
  2. I'm with you John Sentamu would be a good replacement, sound bloke with principles.

3. Since Dr Williams is going to 'step down' does that mean he will join the rest of us in the real world?

4. Sentamu would get my vote if I had one, which I don't, but the decision makers are going to find themselves er, conflicted:

"He's got lots of obvious qualities which would make him perfect for the job, but his beliefs are, how to put it delicately, too orthodox.
    You know he seems to have swallowed all that doctrine and dare we say dogma without sufficient angst, hand-wringing and well genuinely, doubt.
    No no, not our kind of spiritual leader at all. Oh dear, we didn't mean leader in the nasty right wing autocratic way, but in a spirit of cooperation and... sorry, really..."

B

• Like Like x 1
  5. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Richard Chartres is very pc at the moment, liked by the royals, did the sermon at will and kate shindig, though his decision to prompt the church to take legal action against the protestors at st pauls recently may have damaged his chances a little, and liberally traditional - I think he has a good chance of the big guys chair.

6. I'd back JS too but it's long been the tradition that you get York if your face wouldn't fit in Canterbury so he may have already shot his bolt as far as the top job goes.

7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I'll give it a go.

8. Jarrod for bish.

9. Will he do a Blair and announce his conversion to Islam as soon as he steps down?

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Par for the course. We used to have Wilfred Wood as the Bishop of Croydon. First black bish in the country and a splendid fellow. Bajan by birth, and thanks to the education system in Barbados, fiercely proud of English tradition and traditional values. The only time he was unsound in sermons was when England were up against the WIndies in a test and he could not help but be smug...