Arborfield - selling off bits?

no idea...it's been 7 years since I was last there, but some good memories of watching people fountain diving.

Sympathetic_Reaction said:
no idea...it's been 7 years since I was last there, but some good memories of watching people fountain diving.
I've not been there since around 1995/6 or so.

I'm sure the pond there has seen many a party!

Sarge_Knows_Best said:
arborfield going going gone -

Phase 2 reme being moved to tri service in wales guys
Is that the one that hasn't been built yet in St. Athan ?

spaz said:
Bordon's going too. Although not sold as yet. Not before 2012 though.
The MGS guys on the gate have been tod that their jobs are safe until at least 2020.

SEME may be moving to St Athan, that's very old news, but apparently although most of the Trade Training Area will be sold off, the barracks will be occupied by some infantry mob.

Similar rumours went round about Aldershot Garrison closing down, just because the Para's were moving out.

Mitchthebar said:
The MGS guys on the gate have been tod that their jobs are safe until at least 2020.
I'd be surprised if those clots could even count to 20.

The business case hasn't been signed yet. Until then, anything is fair game.

Duty rumour is that the whole DTR package is still unaffordable, and with the slating that PFI/PPPs got in the last few days newspapers, it could all grind to a big halt. Also, selling of Arborfield and Bordon is predicated on getting "x" amount for the land, in order to build lots of small Barrett Boxes for southerner commuter type people. With current property prices, MOD may only be able to sell the land for "y", which may render DTR even more unaffordable.

Fountain is still there, lake is as murky as ever, and there may be quite a few swimmers in there over the next couple of weeks!

Mitchthebar said:
spaz said:
Bordon's going too. Although not sold as yet. Not before 2012 though.

SEME may be moving to St Athan, that's very old news, but apparently although most of the Trade Training Area will be sold off, the barracks will be occupied by some infantry mob.

Similar rumours went round about Aldershot Garrison closing down, just because the Para's were moving out.
Did they? I was there at the time and don't remember that.

StabTiffy2B said:
Mitchthebar said:

Sorry nearly forgot you, your still a cock. :D

spaz said:
StabTiffy2B said:
Mitchthebar said:

Who's a cock? Me or Stab?

what happened to the old line of 'You can't sell off that land, it's Church land'. It was trotted out in the 80s when they last tried to do this. Apparently is something to do with the land that Hazebrouck Brks being pledged to the War Office at the start of the last century.

Mitchthebar said:
spaz said:
StabTiffy2B said:
Mitchthebar said:

Who's a cock? Me or Stab?
Um I have no recolection of making that post so will have to go with neither :oops: .

Damn you Magners.

MikeMcc,

The land at Arborfield is owned by the MOD. The main garrison site was bought by the War Office in 1904 from the Bearwood estate to create a remount centre. Also bear in mind that Poperinge Barracks has already been sold off and developed in to a housing estate.

The last remnants of the remount centre are the Infirmary Stables that were used to isolate sick horse to prevent the spread of disease. These stables are scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act and believe it or not they have the same level of protection as Stonehenge.

Apparently the locals at St Athan are up in arms about having a heeuuge Tri-Service Mega-Campus built on their doorstep.
Couple that with the downturn in the economy, the shocking way that PPP/PFI contracts are staffed and monitored by MoD, I can see this spinning out way to the right - say 2015?

rumours i've heard are that we wont move as no contractor is willing to build and then take payment, to much fuss to move arborfield's allright and besides who the hell wants to live in wales??? i know they have sold some of the garrisons land to reading football club and they have now got a training pitch over there near rowcroft.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CMTs_rock REME 0
Plant-Pilot Current Affairs, News and Analysis 22
Barrack Room Lawyer The Intelligence Cell 1