Arado Ar 196A-3 1/72 by Airfix with Eduard photoetched detail set

Stan_Deesey

War Hero
Here is more on those Heinkels which operated from Calshot. My first job was next door to where they first landed in Hythe Eye on Millig: Inside cockpit of German WW2 Heinkel bomber based at Helensburgh
That was an interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

It described the rear cockpit modification that OllieReeder has already mentioned - an electrically operating sliding canopy.

The Arado 196 that the FAA briefly owned was being flown to Helensburgh when it crashed.

the float assembly now with the bracing wires from stretched sprue, the Eduard plates that go on the upper surfaces of the floats, I'm guessing inspection chamber access covers, have to be bent around a paintbrush handle, slightly more curved than the float, they spring back to curve perfectly.
float building pe plates rudders.png

the pe rudders fitted to the back of each float
rudders.png

the canopy clamped onto the fuselage while it dries.
canopy clamp.png

the job lot in Tamiya grey primer, had to warm the can under the hot tap to get the pressure up it's a wee bit chilly in my workshop today.
all in primer.png

yes it is unusual for a German machine, then again the variety of equipment was part and parcel of their downfall.

the floats attached to the aircraft.
floats added to plane.jpg

It was used by you brown jobs to ferry stuff up and down to Benbecula. It is also used as a Press Centre for Faslane. Other than that, no idea as I live in the sun now!
Wearing Factor 50, boiler suit and a welders helmet, one assumes. :)

the two colour camouflage freshly applied, still wet, I am please with the application, but the darker upper colour, dark green RLM71 has too much brown in it, I need a black green, so I'll let it dry and go again. The port wing has a hair in the undercoat, the hairs gone but you can still see where it was, so that'll be lightly flatted back.
two colour cam wet coats overhead.jpg

I will try black green RLM70 from the Vallejo model air range
two colour cam wet coats.jpg

the undersides look good in light blue RLM 76, pleased with that.
undersurfaces light blue.png

Stan_Deesey

War Hero
It was used by you brown jobs to ferry stuff up and down to Benbecula. It is also used as a Press Centre for Faslane. Other than that, no idea as I live in the sun now!

So the MOD hung on to it. I was expecting you to say that a civvie boat-builder or yacht repair firm was operating out of there.

I was only ever a part-time brown job, and before that I was in the RN, so I consider myself to be more of an ex blue-suit, but no worries Shippers, I´m not dripping about it. This is an Army rumour site after all, so it was an easy mistake to make. :D

So the MOD hung on to it. I was expecting you to say that a civvie boat-builder or yacht repair firm was operating out of there.

I was only ever a part-time brown job, and before that I was in the RN, so I consider myself to be more of an ex blue-suit, but no worries Shippers, I´m not dripping about it. This is an Army rumour site after all, so it was an easy mistake to make. :D
So as to keep mildly on thread, the hangars were used to test Walrus and Sunderlands. Try Googling 'the hangars at Rhu' then following links! Some fine historical stuff there.

Daz

LE
the two colour camouflage freshly applied, still wet, I am please with the application, but the darker upper colour, dark green RLM71 has too much brown in it, I need a black green, so I'll let it dry and go again. The port wing has a hair in the undercoat, the hairs gone but you can still see where it was, so that'll be lightly flatted back.
View attachment 629378
I will try black green RLM70 from the Vallejo model air range
View attachment 629381
the undersides look good in light blue RLM 76, pleased with that.
View attachment 629382
Underside RLM65, Uppers, RLM 72 & RLM73 is the standard paint used if that helps

much darker colours looking far more like it. The trace left by the hair on the port wing has been flatted back and has now gone, time for decals when this has dried.
black green c.jpg

Stan_Deesey

War Hero
Wouldnt a bi plane be better as a ship launched float plane, more lift at a slower speed?

Most of them were up until WW2, and the USN used biplane float planes on onboard capital ships throughout the war. The RN used the Seafox and the Walrus, and I think the Walrus served to the end of the war.

Maybe speed was also a requirement for the role. They would have to climb to height and get to the target area pretty sharpish.

ISTR that most of the Arado 196s produced were operational from coastal bases, and only a few were catapult capable. There was a sub-type of the 196 that was produced for ship-board use.

Stan_Deesey

War Hero
Bad show to quote oneself, but this picture of Graph in the Clyde in June 1943 just turned up. Spooky!

View attachment 629471

I´ve just skimmed through the Wikipedia page about Graph. I had heard about the capture of a U-boat off Iceland, but I didn´t know that the RN had carried out operational patrols with it.

It was interesting to read that KL Rahmlow the U-boat´s skipper was tried for cowardice while in a POW camp. and wound up being transferred to a Luftwaffe/Wehrmacht POW camp for his own safety. The 1st Lt was also found guilty of cowardice, escaped from the camp and was shot by a Home Guard sentry.

Latest Threads