Arado Ar 196A-3 1/72 by Airfix with Eduard photoetched detail set

airfix box art.jpg

Here I go, I've got 16 days to build and finish this before the start of the Itaily Group Build where I will be making a Swchwimmwagen.
first step with a tip and spill box like this is to cut the top out and form it into a tray that can hold the sub assemblies.
the fuselage port side checked, the stub that attached it to the sprue frame needs cutting off and sanding flush.
fuselage port side.jpg

the PE set has the cockpit cabin formed into a open topped box that fits inside the fuselage.
instructions stage b pe.jpg

lots of fine pe parts to go in there. Test fit first of the kit parts, check for flush fitting
fuselage halves test fit.jpg

The PE set is designed for the Revell kit, lets see If I can make it work for the Airfix one?
first wtf moment.jpg

first step, remove the lugs for the seats.
remove locating pins.jpg

Knowing the fuselage halves are a good match, the pe cabin bent to shape and trial fitted to one side of the fuselage. So far so good.
test fit one side.jpg

the two sides trial fitted together with the brass cabin inside, nice fit.
test fit both sides.jpg

Looking forward to this one, I’ve said before got a soft for Seaplane’s and Flying Boat’s. While wandering around Hannants I saw a number of interesting Seaplanes ie Walrus and it’s proposed replacement the Sea Otter, both in 48 scale.

Daz

LE
The PE set is designed for the Revell kit, lets see If I can make it work for the Airfix one?
View attachment 627588
first step, remove the lugs for the seats.
View attachment 627593
Knowing the fuselage halves are a good match, the pe cabin bent to shape and trial fitted to one side of the fuselage. So far so good.
View attachment 627589
the two sides trial fitted together with the brass cabin inside, nice fit.
View attachment 627590
I suspect that the cockpit tub needs to be raised so the upper line is about the same level as the airframe lip

Heres a 1/32 build that should make it clear what I mean o Michael Haar - Arado ar 196 in-progress — Central Texas Scale Modelers Society.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Based on previous experience of Airxix biplanes (and some of the poor quality mouldings) I'm looking forward to seeing how you manage to get the float struts straight!

Looking forward to this one, I’ve said before got a soft for Seaplane’s and Flying Boat’s. While wandering around Hannants I saw a number of interesting Seaplanes ie Walrus and it’s proposed replacement the Sea Otter, both in 48 scale.
Need the Otter for my FAA collection but on search computer says no to 1/48 but yes to 1/72. Cannot find a conversion kit in 1/48 either. Blast.

Ok maybe I got my nickers in a twist, I just remember seeing the Sea Otter (in Pacific use) RAN?
No problem. Been there and done that.
Needed a Westland Whirlwind and Wessex in 1/72 but couldn’t find any cheap enough, so went on eBay and bought the Sikorsky H-19 and H-34 variants quite cheap. Only when they were delivered did I realise they were 1/48. Crap.
Eventually bought the Whirlwind (very old Airfix kit) from Canada that included two fuselages and a conversion kit and the Wessex (two old Matchbox kits) from the US (How they got there I have no idea). Postage was a killer.

The kit you saw was the Special Hobby Sea Otter FAA and RAF Pacific service model.

I think I’m going to be forced get the 1/72 versions of the aircraft kits I’m missing especially the inter-war years.

Based on previous experience of Airxix biplanes (and some of the poor quality mouldings) I'm looking forward to seeing how you manage to get the float struts straight!
Gauntlet thrown down and accepted, not much pressure now, not to cock it up, keeping that Darn cat well away.

I take it you mean pre WW2? Sea Gladiator should be ok, I know Matchbox did Sea Fox other than that…..
I found there are more than expected but difficult to find and at a reasonable price. No luck on the Blackburn Blackburn as yet (but only looking on eBay at present).

Latest Threads