Arachnophobia in the Army

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Your_Mums_Pal, Feb 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was speaking to a fellow ARRSER about this the other night but she was clearly drunk/medicated and didn't seem to be able to answer the question.

When my cousin came back from Afghanistan pretty much 60% of his pictures showed a fucking camel spider, big arse normal spider or scorpion lurking around somewhere. Now I'm terrified of spiders (aye, I know, I'm a big pussy blah blah) but I know I'm not the only one.

How the fuck do soldiers deal with arachnophobia? Do you just suck it up for fear of being ridiculed by your oppos?

2. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Normally dealt with by catching said animals and placing in mess tin for a fight to the death.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I hate the things ... but please don't tell anyone!

Berlin

4. I wouldn't be able to 'catch' one of these fuckers. I'd be bricking it.

BUT - do people place bets on these fights? That could be fun. Even though I might boke when watching.

5. Or insecticide spray and a naked flame.

6. I have a slug phobia & never found it a problem whilst on ex etc. There are usually more important things to worry about =)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Great big hairy squaddies just remind them selves that they are huge and the spider is much, much, much smaller then them and then they either stamp on it or pick it up and chuck it towards a buddy for them to play with.

A lot of people who think they are scared of things like spiders are just showing learned behaviour picked up from watching mummy scream whenever she saw one. Or they learn to be scared of heights from a childhood spend being told, "don't go up there, you'll fall!", ect. When the penny drops you suddenly realise there's nought to be scared of...

There, that consulation will cost you £60. Pay on the way out...

8. Accomodation was frequently in 'Spider Huts' a few centuries ago.

9. They might be massive but far far away.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Explain to me then why my children are shit-scared of spiders when neither of their parents are?

• Like Like x 1
  11. You're not the Father?

• Like Like x 2
  12. You're adopted!

13. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

In all my time in the Forces, I've never once had to wear an anorak.

Why anyone would be scared of an unfashionable item of outerwear is beyond me though.

You should probably go and take your head for a shit.

14. Probably from stories, fairy stories, nursery rhymes, stuff on the telly, from seeing nanny make a fuss, from other kids, little miss muffet leaping off her tuffet, or maybe just a lack of people calmly showing there's nothing to be scared of. Or perhaps they missed out on the spider stamping course for beginners!