ARAB / STAB getting messed around?

Discussion in 'Juniors' started by millionwords, May 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been in the TA for a while, and joined to make that leap from something civi to something vaguely military to "test the waters" as it were before I decided to go regular or not, that was some time ago....

The main thing stopping me is the (possibly warped) perception that the TA might have given me with its feck around factor, by this I mean quality of training, on the bus off the bus attitude, it never seems solid or planned, and when it is planned, that soon goes out of the window just as everyone gets into gear for the plan and eventually come back from training hacked off having got no training value from the whole shebang!

I appreciate that a lot of planning for exercises and training is done by people like myself with day jobs and lives outside of the TA, but its something that has had me toying with the idea of jacking it in for some months.

Are the regulars like this? (Obviously every job is to some extent) but because this is peoples daily jobs, surely it can't be so much of a mess around EVERY time you're doing some sort of training.....?

Any thoughts would be welcomed, as this is the thing that is worrying me the most regards going regular, as I know if was like the TA is, there's not a chance I'd enjoy it!

2. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

The regulars have more time to perfect the 'on the bus, off the bus' approach to command and leadership, so one would hope they would be better!

One of the problems with the TA is that we very rarely have all the organic capabilities that you'd take for granted in a regular working unit. Issues like transport, drivers, ammo etc all have to be booked long in advance, which is fair enough. What isn't fair enough is drivers not turning in because they can't be arsed, and bodge plans having to be put underway.

Part of being a soldier though is learning to cope when things are not going swimmingly. If you can't deal with a little bugger about factor when on a weekend, I'd suggest you can't cope with not knowing what's going on in a contact when your section screws dead, pl Sgt elsewhere and pl cmdr wounded...

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

A TA training weekend last for around 36 - 48 hours, Friday night to Sunday afternoon/evening. There is always an element of on the bus/off the bus involved, usually totalling a few hours over the weekend.

The regular army is different - it has more time to plan and prepare, and can do things to a larger scale. Because of this, it is also able to do bus drills to a larger scale too. Instead of the hour or two of bus drills, they can go on for days at a time. Think in terms of days at the JAMC in South Cerney interupted only by hour long queues for scoff and repeated bus rides to and from Brize Norton to board aircraft which may or may not be there/fit to fly and you start to appreciate how it can be done properly.

Hope this helps.

4. Didn't you like the answers on your other identical thread? :(

5. He is destined for great things and clearly wanted us to go through the motions again without adding any value to our experience...

6. I do appreciate the first half of that which is what I meant mostly, but the last comment is not what I meant at all,

I can cope with buggering about, but when EVERY training weekend is cack, and wednesday nights go from pre planned lessons, to rifle cleaning or nothing at all...and bollocking for weekends we arent attending as we found out about them during the bollocking.

Its all food for thought though thanks guys.

7. Didn't really get any answers that explained alot, apart from yours cuddles. thanks.