AR15s In UK

WALT

LE

Ta. Interesting. I presume the 4,000 still in existence in 2016 would be the better surviving examples. I presume that due to government policy they will still be destroyed rather than offered to the civilian market.
This policy obviously wasn't in place when the government gifted all the old SLRs to Sierra Leone..........
I know this particular rifle will not be missed but I still find it a shame that there will be virtually no evidence of any military firearms of this generation for the future.

Ta. Interesting. I presume the 4,000 still in existence in 2016 would be the better surviving examples. I presume that due to government policy they will still be destroyed rather than offered to the civilian market.
This policy obviously wasn't in place when the government gifted all the old SLRs to Sierra Leone..........
I know this particular rifle will not be missed but I still find it a shame that there will be virtually no evidence of any military firearms of this generation for the future.
The only way that would work would be for a govt purchaser in Foreign to buy them and then sell them off to the trade, cos the MoD won't dispose of firearms direct to the UK civvy trade any more. Hence the No.8's not coming on the market...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Found it Mystery of the L98A1 Cadet GP rifles’ fate

Also the uppers lack any evidence of the primary extraction lug that sticks out the right side of an L98A1 and the pivoting lever part of the cocking handle pushes against, or of the cocking handle guide rail.
Thanks for that - but I think that @gazthejourno might have misinterpreted the information he received.

The stuff about the NSNs doesn't seem relevant to me I can't actually see the over-written number he's referring to in the photo but it would make sense for the bulk of the L98A1 rifles to be converted as part of the H&K contract, so the etching/painting of it would be there regardless, and even H&K might cock up and re-paint/etch numbers.

1625135856976.png

The "It can't be the L98A1 because of the primary extraction lug" argument doesn't really hold water, as the upper body is simply a component into which the barrel screws, and isn't (or at least wasn't) a controlled item (ie: an armourer could order one as a spare part, without writing off the weapon). As part of the H&K A2 contract the upper bodies were machined to accept the barrel / bolt locking splines, as were the A1 spares IIRC. The L98A1 upper bodies with the lug were probably binned.

Thanks for that - but I think that @gazthejourno might have misinterpreted the information he received.

The stuff about the NSNs doesn't seem relevant to me I can't actually see the over-written number he's referring to in the photo but it would make sense for the bulk of the L98A1 rifles to be converted as part of the H&K contract, so the etching/painting of it would be there regardless, and even H&K might cock up and re-paint/etch numbers.

View attachment 585591
The "It can't be the L98A1 because of the primary extraction lug" argument doesn't really hold water, as the upper body is simply a component into which the barrel screws, and isn't (or at least wasn't) a controlled item (ie: an armourer could order one as a spare part, without writing off the weapon). As part of the H&K A2 contract the upper bodies were machined to accept the barrel / bolt locking splines, as were the A1 spares IIRC. The L98A1 upper bodies with the lug were probably binned.
Gaz previously had access to a high res version where the NSN was clearly readable.

Genuinely I would love a straight pull AR15 in a Classic M16a1 get up for some thing fun that eats cheaper 5.56.

Maybe have some wooden furniture if I ever take it out as a varmint rifle!
Well sometimes you just gotta go out and follow your dreams! Guys meet Britney!
Compress_20210912_105309_9665.jpg

Nice! What make is it, and what's the twist rate on the barrel?

BTW how effective are the foam lined barrels at reducing the noise?
Tactical solutions. She is second hand from down south Cornwall way. Has a 1 in 9 twist which shoots quite nice.

Very good for the Nimby neighbors that had no idea that buying a house next to a working range dating back to the 1870s might be loud....

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs

thats the idea.

Latest Threads