AR15s In UK

My AR 15-22 is a bit unusual in this respect. The upper does not have a serial number, neither does the barrel. The serial number is on the lower.
Thats normal but later stuff should have the serial all over including the upper, barrel , BCG and bolt head .

The upper *is* the firearm in UK law cos it's where the pressure-bearing components are. And each one hence requires its own "slot" on an FAC.
All new firearms components should now be serial numbered and show manufacturer , country of origin and year , uppers , lowers and barrels are controlled parts ie you need to have them on an FAC to be legally in possession of them.
Thanks guys.

So if you where going to get a barrel changed for length, twist or being worn it would need to go to a RFD? Same if you were going to change the receiver to one designed for the straight pull handles?

Man bolt actions are so much simpler!

eForm a form 1 on a lower, pick the shortest length you might use in the future, pay $200 tax and that mitigates the outcome, meantime you can keep the configuration as it is.

Only downside is the stupid fingerprints card, but the local CIVPOL can print as many sets as you need to, so get a slack handful.

If ATF does soft ban braces then you have your SBR, if not then aside form the $200 no real loss.

Did an eform 1 for the suppressor self build, I have an account with the ATF.

They actually let you roll your own fingerprints too. You fill out a widget online, tell them how many cards you want and a week later they arrive, all you have to do is buy a decent fingerprint inking pad - rubber stamp pads don't work. The trick is to send them a slack handful of inked up fingerprint cards and let the clerical assistant at the ATF choose which one they like best. Getting authorisation for a build/conversion takes anything from a fortnight to a couple of months. Rule of thumb though: If you can legally buy a firearm, then you will get a tax stamp from the ATF for an exotic article.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this as they reckon there are 40 million "braced pistols" out there. Thats only the ones they can guesstimate, and not counting all self-builds, and dodgy 80% builds.

Thanks guys.

So if you where going to get a barrel changed for length, twist or being worn it would need to go to a RFD? Same if you were going to change the receiver to one designed for the straight pull handles?

Yes, cos acquiring the new barrel or receiver would require a slot on your ticket cos they're licensable items.

Thanks guys.

You cannot change the receiver from gas-operated to one designed for straight pull handles legally in the UK. If the firearm is originally S5, eg a self-loading AR15 in 5.56/.223, SLR, SA80, M1, M14 etc then it stays S5. Except if welded and butchered to become fully deactivated.

You cannot change the receiver from gas-operated to one designed for straight pull handles legally in the UK. If the firearm is originally S5, eg a self-loading AR15 in 5.56/.223, SLR, SA80, M1, M14 etc then it stays S5. Except if welded and butchered to become fully deactivated.
You can build a sect 1 AR15 using a new upper that could be used for semi/full auto , you just dont fit a gas tube or use a barrel that has a gas port, a new upper is sect 1 regardless.

You can build a sect 1 AR15 using a new upper that could be used for semi/full auto , you just dont fit a gas tube or use a barrel that has a gas port, a new upper is sect 1 regardless.
Aha. I thought if the original firearm was S5 it stayed that way. Hence why we sadly never see straight pull converted Bren guns at Bisley

Aha. I thought if the original firearm was S5 it stayed that way. Hence why we sadly never see straight pull converted Bren guns at Bisley
If it's a new receiver it's never been made into a firearm...

You could make straight pull BRENS from parts bin parts. That's been OK'd by the courts. But you'd need a stack of BRENS to strip down, mix up and re-build to be able to do this. And it would be entirely non-trivial unless you left them open-bolt cos you'd have to use one of the Yank methods of bodging an entirely different trigger mech in there.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The upper *is* the firearm in UK law cos it's where the pressure-bearing components are. And each one hence requires its own "slot" on an FAC.
That is rather amusing; I wonder how they managed with the very few civilian owned SA80s?

If you could get a hold of new Bren parts that had never been assembled/fired / proofed you could build one for sect 1 legally.

That is rather amusing; I wonder how they managed with the very few civilian owned SA80s?
I dont think there are any legal straightpull 5.56 SA80`s in the UK , the ones that once floated around tuned out to be built with stolen parts , the story is on here somewhere.

I dont think there are any legal straightpull 5.56 SA80`s in the UK , the ones that once floated around tuned out to be built with stolen parts , the story is on here somewhere.
*Suspected* to have been made with stolen parts...

Seems entirely likely they were, but it's not yet proven, hence the Home Orifice shenanigans around them.

WALT

LE
*Suspected* to have been made with stolen parts...

Seems entirely likely they were, but it's not yet proven, hence the Home Orifice shenanigans around them.

The original cadet GP would be Section 1, would it not?
Do any still exist or have they been converted?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

AFAIK, they were all converted to semi auto.

AFAIK, they were all converted to semi auto.
Nope. You can see from the upper receivers that they're converted from L85A1's and not L98A1's.

Yes it would. It's an open question as to whether BAe ever sold any privately, and the records appear to have been destroyed.

I believe the L98A1's are sitting in store somewhere awaiting disposal. The L98A2's have clearly been converted from L85's cos the upper receivers lack any evidence of them having been L98A1's, and I think there's something to do with the serial numbers too (I'm not the expert, @gazthejourno on Twitter is the guy to ask).

ugly

LE
By building them from scratch as sect 1, RG rifle club had one built into a straight pull LSW and it was accurate but unloved

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes it would. It's an open question as to whether BAe ever sold any privately, and the records appear to have been destroyed.

I believe the L98A1's are sitting in store somewhere awaiting disposal. The L98A2's have clearly been converted from L85's cos the upper receivers lack any evidence of them having been L98A1's, and I think there's something to do with the serial numbers too (I'm not the expert, @gazthejourno on Twitter is the guy to ask).
I'm very surprised; as the TMH is the serial numbered item, the "easy" way would have been to fit new top halves and fit components from the old top halves as necessary, without eating into the strategic reserve of rifles no longer in production. Which is probably why they didn't do it that way...

I'm very surprised; as the TMH is the serial numbered item, the "easy" way would have been to fit new top halves and fit components from the old top halves as necessary, without eating into the strategic reserve of rifles no longer in production. Which is probably why they didn't do it that way...
Found it Mystery of the L98A1 Cadet GP rifles’ fate

Also the uppers lack any evidence of the primary extraction lug that sticks out the right side of an L98A1 and the pivoting lever part of the cocking handle pushes against, or of the cocking handle guide rail.

Latest Threads