AR15s In UK

The ATF is actively working to change the legality of pistol braces.

Teach me to keep up with whats going on.

So, the ATF have been slapped around by Bidens minions and are looking for an easy, pointless, win.

Yes the rule of thumb is to buy a 5.56 so you can shoot anything.
As you mentioned trying to shoot a 5.56 through a weapon chambered in .223 is a potential disaster waiting to happen.

I use green tips as my standard range garbage to kill paper with and the new M855A1 pushes pressure up to 62,000 PSI give or take which would wreck a rifle chambered in .223.
Is the M855A1 the round with the all steel core ?

I have an HK416 in .22.

It’s a very fun, but largely pointless way of quickly using up .22 ammo.

A straight pull full fat one (or even better one in 7.62) would be good but really not worth the extra outlay over a bog standard bolt action.

I believe there are also M16 lookalike shotguns out there that you can own with an SGC.

Seconded, as I have one too. A fun way of flushing ten pound notes down the toilet.

I've been using both .223 and 5.56 for years through my .223 Wylde rifles, never had a problem with pressures and that's been loading some of them pretty hot.

Is the M855A1 the round with the all steel core ?

Here is an article discussing the M855 and the follow on M855A1 and the differences between the two.

The M855 can or could be found in all retail stores and was for online purchase. It was cheap and common and shooters love them because you can or could go through them in droves without breaking the bank.

The M855A1 is not sold in stores and can only be found online on certain websites or from certain individuals as these are a bit more controlled. Not illegal to possess but the Feds don't seem to want them in circulation to the general public.

Ritch

LE

Can't really see the point in straight pulls, but if it floats your boat, why not?

There's a guy with a YouTube channel - I can't remember his name - who has quite a few firearms over here that you wouldn't think possible.

He has a Steyr AUG in 5.56 with a straight bolt and to me, it just seems bloody weird.

I've been using both .223 and 5.56 for years through my .223 Wylde rifles, never had a problem with pressures and that's been loading some of them pretty hot.
Which is the point of the Wylde , if you are building a 223 then use a Wylde reamer , it costs no more and does the job better.

Which is the point of the Wylde , if you are building a 223 then use a Wylde reamer , it costs no more and does the job better.

Yeah I know, that's why I went with .223 Wylde ;)

With these Schmeissers that are coming onto the UK market, I'd be interested to know if they're using standard semiauto chambers, cos the custom straight-pull AR builders in the UK insist that there's an art to the chamber profile and its finish. There's zero primary extraction in the AR bolt system, so any tendency for the case to stick is going to give hard extraction. Which is not an issue with a semiauto, cos the bolt carrier gives it a good whack once it's unlocked and it doesn't matter.

With these Schmeissers that are coming onto the UK market, I'd be interested to know if they're using standard semiauto chambers, cos the custom straight-pull AR builders in the UK insist that there's an art to the chamber profile and its finish. There's zero primary extraction in the AR bolt system, so any tendency for the case to stick is going to give hard extraction. Which is not an issue with a semiauto, cos the bolt carrier gives it a good whack once it's unlocked and it doesn't matter.
There is no art to cutting AR15 SP chambers , some UK AR builders talk bollox and try to surround their trade with mysticism but thats the gun trade , if a chamber is cut to spec it will extract without any issue , every time ,even with just a T handle which gives little leverage , Schmeisser use the Wylde reamer I believe , I heard of people polishing chambers but usually thats for old men who have no strength to pull/extract the case but polishing chambers can create other issues and I dont think it will work anyway.

Interesting question with British Law. AR15s can have different uppers with different barrel lengths. Would each of these "uppers" count as a separate firearm or just spare barrels for the lower that is the registered serialised part of the firearm?

Interesting question with British Law. AR15s can have different uppers with different barrel lengths. Would each of these "uppers" count as a separate firearm or just spare barrels for the lower that is the registered serialised part of the firearm?
All new firearms components should now be serial numbered and show manufacturer , country of origin and year , uppers , lowers and barrels are controlled parts ie you need to have them on an FAC to be legally in possession of them.

The upper *is* the firearm in UK law cos it's where the pressure-bearing components are. And each one hence requires its own "slot" on an FAC.

The upper *is* the firearm in UK law cos it's where the pressure-bearing components are. And each one hence requires its own "slot" on an FAC.
My AR 15-22 is a bit unusual in this respect. The upper does not have a serial number, neither does the barrel. The serial number is on the lower.

My AR 15-22 is a bit unusual in this respect. The upper does not have a serial number, neither does the barrel. The serial number is on the lower.
Not unusual at all, cos they're usually serialised according to US practice (and nobody else really cares), where the lower is the firearm cos it holds the magazine (which is why for some guns it's the upper and some it's the lower in the US).

Papa_Lazarou

War Hero
Teach me to keep up with whats going on.

So, the ATF have been slapped around by Bidens minions and are looking for an easy, pointless, win.
eForm a form 1 on a lower, pick the shortest length you might use in the future, pay $200 tax and that mitigates the outcome, meantime you can keep the configuration as it is.

Only downside is the stupid fingerprints card, but the local CIVPOL can print as many sets as you need to, so get a slack handful.

If ATF does soft ban braces then you have your SBR, if not then aside form the $200 no real loss.

Latest Threads