AR15s In UK

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
So I thought the same thing. Then I had a go of a straight pull M14. That was very fun! I would have an L98 if I could!
Each to their own.
 

Can't really see the point in straight pulls, but if it floats your boat, why not?
They utterly dominate the 2 optically-sighted categories of the Civilian Service Rifle discipline, and with very good reason...
 
Hahaha. I ain’t no reporter. Just a keen clay shooter that wishes he could own an AR. Converted to single action or otherwise!

Nice try. If you were a keen clay shooter you'd be expected to know what single action means...
 
With a forward assist.
Really?
Yes, cos the majority of upper receivers on the market that these rifles are built from are fitted for the Button of Doom, so it would be strange to leave the hole for it empty.
 
Genuinely I would love a straight pull AR15 in a Classic M16a1 get up for some thing fun that eats cheaper 5.56.

Maybe have some wooden furniture if I ever take it out as a varmint rifle!
I have a plan for one (ideally SP1 config without forward assist) but with a decent straight pull cocking handle, like the Bradley Arms one. Cos I can't be dealing with the T-handle on a straight pull.

I also want an all-singing-all-dancing one set up for CSR Service Optics, that I can then bring to the UK for CSR comps.

Partly it's for the fun, partly it's to cause consternation with the licensing people here - I see no reason why I even need a permit to acquire it - it's a 20" .223 Rem repeating rifle. The idea of acquiring it purely on a contract really tickles my fancy for some reason...

Slightly expensive gag that will cost £££ to have built in the UK and imported to Switzerland, but you can't take your cash with you!
 

Can't really see the point in straight pulls, but if it floats your boat, why not?
Specs are poor on that rifle , everyone wants 1:7 twist so they can send 69gr and 77gr bullets.
 
You can have 5.56

The web page quoted is probably the result of a search where .223 has been specified in the search parameters.

Here's a result where I specified 5.56x45

.223 Wylde is the one to have , safe to use .223Rem and 5.56 .
 

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Quora is an absolute cesspit. Like Swindon. Don't go there...
I never thought I'd say this, but that's rather unfair on Swindon.
 

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have an HK416 in .22.

It’s a very fun, but largely pointless way of quickly using up .22 ammo.

A straight pull full fat one (or even better one in 7.62) would be good but really not worth the extra outlay over a bog standard bolt action.

I believe there are also M16 lookalike shotguns out there that you can own with an SGC.
 
But it can more than handle the chamber pressure of the round. Accuracy is going to depend on a few factors, not just the round used.
5.56 profile throats are slightly looser than .223 throats, which does have a slight negative effect on accuracy. For 99% of people who worry about this, the difference is mostly in their head. The other 1% shoot well enough to notice and have rifles built well enough that it's noticable...

The difference is mostly in people's heads though.

However, shooting hot NATO spec 5.56 in a tight .223 chamber/throat can push the pressure up into the dangerous region for some actions. The other way around is never an issue.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
5.56 profile throats are slightly looser than .223 throats, which does have a slight negative effect on accuracy. For 99% of people who worry about this, the difference is mostly in their head. The other 1% shoot well enough to notice and have rifles built well enough that it's noticable...

The difference is mostly in people's heads though.

However, shooting hot NATO spec 5.56 in a tight .223 chamber/throat can push the pressure up into the dangerous region for some actions. The other way around is never an issue.
It didn’t take long for someone’s fishing trip to be diverted in true Arsse fashion into something completely different
 

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
It didn’t take long for someone’s fishing trip to be diverted in true Arsse fashion into something completely different
....For the common good....
 
5.56 profile throats are slightly looser than .223 throats, which does have a slight negative effect on accuracy. For 99% of people who worry about this, the difference is mostly in their head. The other 1% shoot well enough to notice and have rifles built well enough that it's noticable...

The difference is mostly in people's heads though.

However, shooting hot NATO spec 5.56 in a tight .223 chamber/throat can push the pressure up into the dangerous region for some actions. The other way around is never an issue.
Yes the rule of thumb is to buy a 5.56 so you can shoot anything.
As you mentioned trying to shoot a 5.56 through a weapon chambered in .223 is a potential disaster waiting to happen.

I use green tips as my standard range garbage to kill paper with and the new M855A1 pushes pressure up to 62,000 PSI give or take which would wreck a rifle chambered in .223.
 
Yes the rule of thumb is to buy a 5.56 so you can shoot anything.
As you mentioned trying to shoot a 5.56 through a weapon chambered in .223 is a potential disaster waiting to happen.

I use green tips as my standard range garbage to kill paper with and the new M855A1 pushes pressure up to 62,000 PSI give or take which would wreck a rifle chambered in .223.

Well that stuff is running at .223 proof pressures...

This is worth a read cos the guy actually pressure tested stuff 5.56 vs .223 - What You Know May Be Wrong - LuckyGunner.com Labs
 

Latest Threads

Top