AR15 / SA80 muzzle break threads

I know Ar-15 Muzzle breaks are 1/2 x 28 UNEF threaded, does anyone know the thread of the surefire SA80 flash hider?

I wrongly assumed they are the same..............

Can a grown up or a stinking armourer type help please :D

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I thought they were the same too.

Are you sure you're not just being a ham fisted spastic?

CC_TA

LE
upload_2014-8-12_21-33-34.png

Here the go!

The surefire Flash hider from an A2 barrel simply doesn't fit on an AR15 barrel. The thread is similar but about 3/4mm different.

Edgar brothers acknowledged they aren't the same today but can't back to me until tomorrow with the Surefire thread size.

I bet you've got hold of a C8 one. I'll have a rummage under my spare tyre, I have a couple kicking about. Is it urgent?

hang on you know I'm easily confused. what have you got, and what are you trying to do?

CC_TA

LE
The surefire Flash hider from an A2 barrel simply doesn't fit on an AR15 barrel. The thread is similar but about 3/4mm different.

Edgar brothers acknowledged they aren't the same today but can't back to me until tomorrow with the Surefire thread size.

...You do know the pointy fork things go forward and the lumpy bit points backwards.

...and lefty loosey - righty tighty!

I guess it's a new one and not one you've removed yourself?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have to ask, is this a real AR15 or one of your toy .22 jobbies?

It's possible the toy ones don't have the same thread.

You're one step up from airsofters.

have you tried to heat it up? 30 minutes at gas mark 5 should expand it slightly and then you can screw it on easily. than quench it in Volvic to "shrink it to fit. That's what we used to do at 6BEF-R

Is it the length of the thread that's different?

Or have you gotta euro AR? Mine has an M14x1 right hand thread.

A dial caliper and a pair of thread gauges are a good idea if you want to start gun plumbing.

Latest Threads