AR15 carbine 10k rounds torture test

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

In short, 4 civvy M4's, firing 10k rounds of Federal brass-cased & 3 types of steel cased ammunition.

The Federal carbine shot all 10k without a single malfunction and with minimal cleaning:

Cleaning and Lubrication

A cleaning and lubrication schedule was followed – at 2,500 and 7,500 rounds, the bolt carrier group was wiped down with a paper towel, and at 5,000 rounds, a detailed cleaning was undertaken. A single drop of lubricant was applied to the cam pin hole of the bolt carrier group every 1,000 rounds, and six drops were used after each of the aforementioned cleaning intervals. Certain small parts were replaced as needed, and they will be discussed later in the article. After all initial tests were complete, the bulk of the shooting commenced.
The 2 minute summary video at the link is worth a watch.

[video=youtube;Kzfm4pYhIyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzfm4pYhIyY[/video]

Apparently SA80's are more reliable then these jam-o-matics®

Scientists have estimated that a full auto 10k test with a FAL would be too dangerous to perform.
It could cause a black hole to spontaneously form and destroy the Earth.

Thay is incorrect.
The real danger is that if fired in that manner on the wrong bearing it will cause the earth to stall and then rotate in the wrong direction,

Hitting a moving and small target reliably takes practice, lots of practice, to avoid getting drawn into fox with a flock of chickens mode.

'Letting rip' into a room, as practised by the finest mongs of the PIRA on many occassions, while it makes a lot of noise and ruins the plasterwork, tends to miss mostly.

That's the trouble with kids these days, rather than take some well aimed shots they just brass up the place. That chap from Norway had the right idea.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app

Hitting a moving and small target reliably takes practice, lots of practice, to avoid getting drawn into fox with a flock of chickens mode.

'Letting rip' into a room, as practised by the finest mongs of the PIRA on many occassions, while it makes a lot of noise and ruins the plasterwork, tends to miss mostly.
PIRA rarely. It was a preferred tactic of the Prods.

Actually, joking aside and as sick as it might sound, I'm actually quite fascinated by this. How is it that someone can walk into a target dense environment with many hundreds of rounds and yet the death ratio is very low. Dunblane, TH had almost a 1000 rounds and yet 16 dead. Similarly in many of the American cases, so many targets yet very few ( in the scale of things) fatalities. Without making light of these things, why is it that an armed loony, intent on taking out as many people as possible and with many hundreds of round, doesnt kill many hundreds of people. I read of Anders Brevik's account and apparently he trained himself up on various wargames and went only for head shots, hence a very very high death ratio which I suppose answers my quesation in a way. Have these other guys just let rip and hoped for the best?
And no. Much as I hate my clientele, I'm not planning something!
Don't know. An educated guess would be something along the lines of lack of skill, coupled with people getting the **** out of the way and making themselves difficult targets. That and the fact that a lone shooter in an open area with a dense population of targets would be unhappy about having to change magazine (easily rushed and disarmed). And finally, probably something along the lines of the ******* who do this wanting to take time and enjoy their handy work. Basically, those who do this are usually said pathetic no marks, and will love every second of being able to play God, walking around and "deciding" who will live or die massages the ego more than randomly spraying people down.

Actually, joking aside and as sick as it might sound, I'm actually quite fascinated by this. How is it that someone can walk into a target dense environment with many hundreds of rounds and yet the death ratio is very low. Dunblane, TH had almost a 1000 rounds and yet 16 dead. Similarly in many of the American cases, so many targets yet very few ( in the scale of things) fatalities. Without making light of these things, why is it that an armed loony, intent on taking out as many people as possible and with many hundreds of round, doesnt kill many hundreds of people. I read of Anders Brevik's account and apparently he trained himself up on various wargames and went only for head shots, hence a very very high death ratio which I suppose answers my quesation in a way. Have these other guys just let rip and hoped for the best?
A bunch of reasons.

TH was hoping to arrive during School assembly. The little kid he asked a couple of days earlier, "When is assembly at your school?" muddled up 'quarter-to' and 'quarter-past' Nine o'clock, so he arrived 30 min late, when the other kids were in lessons. (This I remember clearly from the contemporary news-coverage)

TH had barely shown up at his club range in most of a decade. His club committee had written to the local plod saying he needed his Sec-1 license pulled, as they hadn't seen him and therefore he wasn't using his pistols for target shooting. (I'm fairly certain of this, but can't quite remember if the source was 100% legit)

If paragraph 2 is true, then I arrive at my pet theory as to why TH's license wasn't pulled; but it's speculation as the only copper who could confirm it took early retirement and seemed awfully keen to get out of the country before the Cullen inquiry convened.

TH may have arrived with 800+ rounds, but died having expended fewer than 200, having wasted many firing at distant classrooms where the children were already under their desks.

Breivik had given himself the advantage that he'd gained control of the only boat available locally, giving himself lots of free time to do his sordid business on that island. (Whether he knew that the Norwegian SWAT-type team were off doing team building that day is another matter.) A suburban school in the 'States doesn't have this sort of isolation from armed-response (as Yank coppers are tooled up), similarly East Central Scotland has the population all 'clustered-up'; while the armed squad weren't there fast enough, TH must have thought they were on the way.
(Wasn't there a tragic twist that the phone-system in the nearest cop-shop was being overhauled that day?)

Ask the Met - their finest surrounded a mini and blasted away at point blank range without killing anyone.

[video=youtube;Kzfm4pYhIyY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzfm4pYhIyY[/video]

Apparently SA80's are more reliable then these jam-o-matics®
perhaps if you had ever taken an SA80 on an op tour, you might actually accept this as being true.