AR ? From the Portuguese in Mozambique in the early 1970ies.

TamH70

MIA
Here's a video on Forgotten Weapons on the Dutch-built AR10 rifles, including what was known as the Portuguese-contract guns, some of which showed up in Mozambique.

Yes and there was a custom-made shortened version for SF called the MC51 which was, IIRC, offered by a UK Company called Sterling. Not sure this version was a success hence the use of G-3A4K by UKSF.

The RUC also had HK 33, 53 and G-3.
Hk53s were carried by the crews on support helicopters in NI.

Lots of G3’s made it to Rhodesia , as did quite a few Portugease chaps. Dont know why but I have always thought the G3 is a more elegant weapon than the FN/SLR. Always liked the HK rotating turret rear sight.

Minor point, never liked the doppies, or empty cases as the twist on the case gave away the type.

Anyone ever fire the German blue plastic rounds?
We were given them for training in Tin City in the eighties;once. We had them in the mock village bit where car horns go off and you have to talk to the dummies etc.

I owned a mint Portuguese contract one a while back, s/n A 0004, with a cut away mag housing.

Absolutely awesome bit of kit. Wish I still had it...

As for the blue plastic German training ammo, I stuck some over a chronograph a while back. It does indeed fly at warp factor snot but only weighs 11 grains (0.7g) so fizzles out pretty quick:

I owned a mint Portuguese contract one a while back, s/n A 0004, with a cut away mag housing.

Absolutely awesome bit of kit. Wish I still had it...

As for the blue plastic German training ammo, I stuck some over a chronograph a while back. It does indeed fly at warp factor snot but only weighs 11 grains (0.7g) so fizzles out pretty quick:

The German medics weren't keen on the plastic ammo. In instances such as ND's where a man was struck with the round, x-rays could not determine the location of the of the plastic detritus in the wound. There's a few young Fernspahtruppen with buttocks or lower legs which look as though they've been through a shoal of piranas.

There's also a 9mm white plastic round, which tended to leave the Browning high power an absolute arrse to clean post serial.

Latest Threads