AR ? From the Portuguese in Mozambique in the early 1970ies.

ugly

LE
The Portuguese used AR10’s for a while in the 60’s but I can’t see the picture

No pic for me either.

Think they came from Holland.

Wasn't the standard Portugese Infantry rifle the localy made G3 used in Moz and Angola? Many ended up in Rhodesia after 1975 and were used as 2nd line Rifles to equip units like Intaf, Guard Force, and the RDR.

Lots of G3’s made it to Rhodesia , as did quite a few Portugease chaps. Dont know why but I have always thought the G3 is a more elegant weapon than the FN/SLR. Always liked the HK rotating turret rear sight.

Minor point, never liked the doppies, or empty cases as the twist on the case gave away the type.

Anyone ever fire the German blue plastic rounds?

Lots of G3’s made it to Rhodesia , as did quite a few Portugease chaps. Dont know why but I have always thought the G3 is a more elegant weapon than the FN/SLR. Always liked the HK rotating turret rear sight.

Minor point, never liked the doppies, or empty cases as the twist on the case gave away the type.

I thought one of the big complaints was that the Portugese ones weren't as well made as the German ones.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

oh crikey you mean the indoor range wad cutter stuff where the tip breaks off?

doesn't cycle and you have prize it out when it sticks.

Used some in an SLR and L96.

really fast and flat but decelerates to nothing in under 100m.

Karamoja

War Hero

The forearm on the G3 was useless, cheap plastic which used to rattle around. After shooting a mag you couldn't hold it because it got so hot. The whole thing, when compared to the R1/SLR, was cheap and nasty. Strangely however, I found my shooting was more accurate with it than with the other two. The action was delayed blow-back and the doppies simply had residue stripes from the fluted cylinder. It certainly chucked them a distance as well.

Last edited:

Really cheap in the USA, people don't want it as it doesn't cycle the action (unless you've got the correct rollerless bolt head).

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I thought one of the big complaints was that the Portugese ones weren't as well made as the German ones.
The famous German quality. The last batch of G-3 bought by the GIGN had to be sent back to HK because they were badly produced and HK had to replace several thousands USP magazines issued to FRA SF in the 2000s because they just did not function.
HK's answer was that their skilled craftsmen had retired and the new ones were not as good. Prices haven't gone down though....

ISTR that we used the HK G3 in Northern Ireland...
Yes and there was a custom-made shortened version for SF called the MC51 which was, IIRC, offered by a UK Company called Sterling. Not sure this version was a success hence the use of G-3A4K by UKSF.

The RUC also had HK 33, 53 and G-3.

The famous German quality. The last batch of G-3 bought by the GIGN had to be sent back to HK because they were badly produced and HK had to replace several thousands USP magazines issued to FRA SF in the 2000s because they just did not function.
HK's answer was that their skilled craftsmen had retired and the new ones were not as good. Prices haven't gone down though....
All those Doctors, Scientists and Engineers that Muti Merkel imported then, not being up to scratch. Unlike the retired ones who were trained by the Wehrmacht.

Latest Threads