AR-15 use in NI.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Library_Soldier2, Mar 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw a picture of a patrol in S Armagh dated 1980's one or two carrying AR-15, was it used LSW stylee in the age of the SLR? (Full auto v repetition)
  2. I know our COP platoon carried them, during our South Armagh tours in 1977 and 1980, but dont think they were used within the rest of the battalion?
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

ARB was issued them as well as the M203. COPs certainly scaled 2 per patrol.. Who got them depended upon the heirarchy, some platoons insisted the signaller and patrol commander other platoons it was ic and 2 ic only.
    It allowed a little extra full auto for contact drills but apart from that and rusting to buggery not really worth much. We hung on to them after the L85 A1 was issued and also a handful of M16 A1 were issued in early 1988. The original AR15s were reputed to be original purchase for Borneo so very old and knackered.
    Lsw could be carried but in my team if we wanted the firepower we took a GPMG.
  4. Our M16A1 were likewise knackered for the same reason. The first time I fired one, a clattering noise made me think that I'd set it on auto by accident. Looked down at the change lever - it was on semi. Fired again, same clattering noise. Then I realised it was the bolt carrier and buffer rattling around inside the butt!
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The recoil spring noise is very offputting especially after SLRs.
  6. 'twas as Ugly says. I had one with a SUIT mounted and I loved it. Nice and light and pointable which was handy when inserting through a Tyrone swamp with 150 lbs of batteries in your bergan. Can't remember problems with rust but I think I remember the working parts and barrel were chromed.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The outsides weren't chromed and the flash hider used to turn orange in minutes. Ireland where 40 days and 40 nights of rain isn't a disaster, its just summer!
  8. Mrs Browns Boys :)
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

True though
  10. M16, ar15, lmg, ar15

Attached Files:

• AR15.jpg
      File size:
      61.5 KB
  11. For a moment I thought that was a pic of the COP I was in. When did you do NIPG?
  12. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

Bloody hell ExXIX, how old is that phot? I've never seen an LMG like that before [I'm a youthful matelot] and I always thought the AR15 was a short carbine, the M4 precursor. Must read up...
  13. Ah, the LMG. A machine of sheer, purposeful beauty. <sigh>
  14. The LMG I used circa 1985/86 had a date stamp of 1944 on it !
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The AR15 was the manufacturers designation, M16 was the US forces designation. the AR 15s we had were very old, we bought the first pre colt batch before the US Air Force in 1962 I believe hence the need by the late 80's for a purchase of M16 A1s from Colt.
    Not great pics but still show them in use