Aquascutum goes bust

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Provost, Apr 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The 150 year old fashion house of Aquascutum goes into administration. Among its most loyal customers were said to be Winston Churchill, Lady Thatcher, Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant and Barbara Cartland.... so it was right down there with the kids, then.

However did it manage to go bust?

2. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

They ran out of money.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Perhaps they also ran out of customers who were still alive or compos mentis. Probably still popular with ruperts, however.

4. It sounded too much like something you'd talk to the doctor about for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Where will jarrod get his flasher macs from now ?

6. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Their factory outlet shop used to be reasonably close to me, so from time to time I'd go and buy shirts there. I've got to say that even at factory outlet prices, the quality didn't justify the price tag. On the high street I'd say they were way overpriced for what they were. Like a lot of retailers that got into trouble they tried to cut corners on quality while still charging premium prices.

Like pretty well every other business that went bust it got its business model wrong. And if you cut quality while holding prices, you won't survive when money gets tighter and people start to look closer at the value of what they're buying.

Wordsmith

7. Expensive overated and overpriced,but what would I know,I shop in matalan

8. They kept a manufacturing base in Northamptonshire iirc. Good stuff but shops to fancy and punters to few.If they went internet modern and dropped prices a bit they would have raked it in

9. Next stop Burberry?

10. Forgot to say. Never seen anything of theirs over a 40" chest. Not for men then.

11. Unless you're selling to teenagers.

12. I have a lovely puppy tooth tweed Aquascutum jacket. Cost me a fiver off ebay. My top eBay bargain of all time and my fave beer swilling rig

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

13. Camera phones mate, they drove all the flashers off the streets.
    When did you last see some bloke in a mac hanging round a park or the school gates eh?

14. Now then, this will sort out the men from the boys. Who remembers Pac-a-macs.
    The foul smelling rain-wear of choice for the discerning pervert of limited means.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Their site just now..........

Aquascutum - Site maintenance

We're sorry…

Unfortunately, the Aquascutum website is currently undergoing essential maintenance and will be available again soon.