April fool gags, come on own up

Actually, if I remember rightly, as long as the rudder is balanced with the bank angle to keep the turn-and-slip bubble in the centre of the glass then the forces are in equilibrium and nothing should spill.

I recall watching a series on BBC, when BBC documentaries were factual and not mithered in politics and agenda-driven bias, about the development of flight and they showed a guy in a twin-engined light aircraft (I think it was) with his full cup of coffee in the holder on top of the panel doing a roll (with the correct application of control surfaces) and not spilling a drop.

They also showed the test pilot for the B747 prototype's first flight having a "Sod it" moment and giving it a full roll, too. The programme for the initial flight of a new type was stated to usually be to take off, fly a circuit and land again - this one being no exception.

@Toastie
It’s an Airbus. Wank by design. You can have all the handling skills in the world and it’ll make cock all difference as the pilot is removed from the equation by computer components made in places like Wuhan.

The cup of coffee barrel roll was a bloke whose name escapes me (Chuck T Cheeseburger III Jr?) but was a well known hotshot. In an Aero Commander IIRC. Neat trick but in reality, if flown properly (ie not by people like me) it’s a 1g manoeuvre so physics dictates the result.

The other roll was the 707, flown by Tex Somethingorother (Johnson?). Wouldn’t you just know he’d be called Tex? He was even wearing a leather bomber jacket.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Para 3.

Image may contain: text

aardvark64

Old-Salt
Pranked the kids when I woke them up this morning: told them that the Govt had re-opened the schools and that their GSCE exams were back on for May.

Two very stroppy teenagers still haven't quite forgiven me...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Aero Commander
Otú airstrip in Antioquia was the airstrip servicing the Antioquia gold field, centred on Segovia, where me dad ran Cogote gold mine. Fronting Gold Mines might have had a company jet, had any of the airstrips had a runway to land one.

As he was dying, we had free rein with the company Aerocommander for getting to Bogotá to see him.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The other roll was the 707, flown by Tex Somethingorother (Johnson?). Wouldn’t you just know he’d be called Tex? He was even wearing a leather bomber jacket.
I thought it was a 747 too. I was also wrong.

Thread resurrection, given the date. I don’t think any April Fool gag will trump what we are all going through at the moment!
Oh, I dunno

NSP

LE
I thought it was a 747 too. I was also wrong.
I was sure the footage on the BBC was a B&W reel shot from the ground showing a 747, too. Seems not... Maybe the same programme covered both as it was on widebody development.

This has to be fake, though:-

I was sure the footage on the BBC was a B&W reel shot from the ground showing a 747, too. Seems not... Maybe the same programme covered both as it was on widebody development.

This has to be fake, though:-

Holy hell, I bet the pool balls were all over the shop on that.

Footage looks pretty gen though :thumleft:

It’s an Airbus. Wank by design. You can have all the handling skills in the world and it’ll make cock all difference as the pilot is removed from the equation by computer components made in places like Wuhan.

The cup of coffee barrel roll was a bloke whose name escapes me (Chuck T Cheeseburger III Jr?) but was a well known hotshot. In an Aero Commander IIRC. Neat trick but in reality, if flown properly (ie not by people like me) it’s a 1g manoeuvre so physics dictates the result.

Bob Hoover.

DTBA

War Hero
When I was doing my GCSE Design and Technology my creation held pride of place in the garage. A wooden display cabinet with laminated front covers of a magazine, all done by my own design and complete with plexiglass windows. It had taken me months.

On the first morning of April my dad came into the dining room with odd cuts of the identical wood, window sized cuts of plexi glass and asked me to give a hand taking it to the skip as the car was back in the garage now. I had a total sense of humour failure and I think I probably cried a little bit (a lot). He'd carefully moved it upstairs in the dead of night

I eventually forgave him around ten years later

And the other one:

theinventor

Old-Salt
Wife got chickens a few weeks back. They still don't do anything but turn chicken food into chicken shit.
This morning I placed a toy rubber egg in the coop. She was so excited to see they'd finally started laying.
Then cursed me somewhat...

Latest Threads