April 23rd

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by semper, Apr 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. as all Englshmen and Women should know, tomorrow is St Georges Day.

I will be raising a pint of Bombadier and Spitfire in celebration of our National Identity. :dance: :clap: :highfive:

any wannabes Englishmen/Women can join in :D
    [​IMG]

http://www.stgeorgesday.com/home

2. Be interesting to see if anyone turns up.

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Message from the Ministry of Propaganda (e.g. 10 Downing St)

This event has been cancelled as it may offend some people in our communities.

:x

4. Breakfast club at my son's school is having a St. George's Day breakfast menu tomorrow. Just waiting for the PC brigade on the Parent Teachers' Association to get their collective knickers in a twist over it.

5. They canceled the St.G parade in Weymouth as no-one could be really bothered (sums the English up I suppose!)! Give it 5 years and we'll all be celebrating a Polish saint's day and getting smashed on homemade vodka.

Anyway, fcuk St.G, he was a whimp! Being nailed to a saltire, now that's hard core! :D

6. Apparently St George is revered by Muslims as well. There is a shrine to at Beit Jala:
    His mother was Palestinian, he was born in Turkey and got martyred for turning conchie, patron saint of Palestinian Christians. He's be a pefect new labor multi-cultural icon if it wasn't for the cruelty to dragons.

7. I don't think that anything is happening at my kids' school, which is a shame. They celebrate everything else.

8. BATUS had a lovely big celeration in time honoured English tradition - It pi$$ed it down.

9. Are we allowed to wear a red rose in our top pocket tomorow???

10. Only if you're going to a wedding :p

11. Happy St Georges Day.

[​IMG]

12. Hitler's Birthday last Friday? :D

13. In Catalonia Sant Jordi is the national Saint and it is a big day out here. The men buy the women a Rose or various roses, I get to buy three. The women buy the men a book, - don't know why as most of the buggers don't/can't/won't read it, - but the custom is interesting.

Personally I will be raising a Guiness and/or home brew to the old Dragon-Slayer as was Regimental custom.

HAPPY ST GEORGE'S DAY

14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Hmm, never heard that!!!! I know Khidr, and he was not a companion of Moses, it was the other way around. He has some association with nature and its knowledge (protoscientist?) and Khidr has a shared root Akhdar meaning Green.

15. STOP STOP STOP STOP

Before you do anything....................... ask ALL local communities if you and ensure that they are not offended by either the Union Flag OR the Flag of St George.

If all parties agree that it is OK, with NO OBJECTORS AT ALL (including English men and women), then a small flag the size of a fag packet can be kept in your pocket tomorrow, BUT MUST be shredded by the 24th