Apres moi, le deluge

This a mixture of weird and bad news. In the immediate aftermath of the floods help came in from all over the place including the Bundeswehr with heavy earth moving vehicles ( tanks inney?). Then after a day or two people noticed that the Bundeswehr was still present but not doing anything, not that the soldiers wanted to just stand around, they were not allowed to help. The German Constitution prohibits the army from being active within the country, unless it is to preserve life and limb and has a definite task. So once the initial task had been completed the army was forced to wait for the civil authorities to give a new definite task to the army via MoD Bonn. Jobsworth ad nauseam.
The Bw itself is very bureaucratic, many years ago my Luftwaffe boss mislaid his flying gloves, now an RAF pilot would toddle off to clothing stores and get another pair. The Luftwaffe is different, my boss had to submit a written report! In order to drive a military vehicle off camp a written order is necessary which has to be shown to the gate guard before he will raise the barrier!

This a mixture of weird and bad news. In the immediate aftermath of the floods help came in from all over the place including the Bundeswehr with heavy earth moving vehicles ( tanks inney?). Then after a day or two people noticed that the Bundeswehr was still present but not doing anything, not that the soldiers wanted to just stand around, they were not allowed to help. The German Constitution prohibits the army from being active within the country, unless it is to preserve life and limb and has a definite task. So once the initial task had been completed the army was forced to wait for the civil authorities to give a new definite task to the army via MoD Bonn. Jobsworth ad nauseam.
The Bw itself is very bureaucratic, many years ago my Luftwaffe boss mislaid his flying gloves, now an RAF pilot would toddle off to clothing stores and get another pair. The Luftwaffe is different, my boss had to submit a written report! In order to drive a military vehicle off camp a written order is necessary which has to be shown to the gate guard before he will raise the barrier!
well thy are rather Jealous of the fact that they don't want an Armed force that can just swan about and do what it wants. I think that was rather part of the 1945 agreement.

well thy are rather Jealous of the fact that they don't want an Armed force that can just swan about and do what it wants. I think that was rather part of the 1945 agreement.
I fear it will be the good old hullabaloo that we have developed to perfection over the last decades. Bureaucratic "coordination" between civilian and military agencies and that, of course, until one cries. But at least they have made a nice flyer and also just specified how uncomplicated and fast support can be obtained.

https://www.bundeswehr.de/resource/...05b86a470005c440b10a/flyer-amtshilfe-data.pdf

3. the procedure for applying for administrative assistance

- Some federal states have their own decrees that contain
regulations on how to apply for administrative assistance.
These regulations must be observed.

- In principle, applications can be made informally and
are not bound by any time limit. They can be submitted to the Land commands, district / district liaison commands and to any other Bundeswehr office.

- To ensure that applications are processed quickly and efficiently, it is recommended that
- ideally the written or electronic Bundeswehr form is used
- Clearly describe the situation and derive the need for support from it.
- clearly communicate that the requesting authority is not in a position to carry out the official act itself.
- In the case of supra-regional cases, requests for administrative assistance should be discussed and prioritised in the course of their preparation, in order to ensure that the support services are provided to the right place and to avoid competition.

Well who'd a thunk of it, that'll surely win the war.

So you're pre-elevated ready for the mud slide to get a good run up?

Going to show that you don't need to be at the bottom of the hill to have trouble. Further flooding in Dinant, Belgium, yesterday.

'In Namur province, Dinant suffered perhaps the worst flooding, although there are present no reports of casualties, according to mayor Axel Tixhon (cdH). Four people had to be evacuated from their homes and found shelter elsewhere. Streets were flooded and cars carried away. Many houses suffered light to severe flooding. “It was brief but very violent,” said Tixhon.

'One witness described the scene to Het Laatste Nieuws. The man is a resident of Dinant and had been shopping in the centre. “When I came home the water was already running several centimetres deep down the hill,” he said. “This is a steep street that ends at the Meuse, so that happens often. But less than five minutes later I saw the water rise fifty centimetres in our street. It was then that I noticed a dozen cars being dragged down by the current. The power of that water was enormous. I barely managed to get inside.”

Yesterday in Dinant.

For those who don't know the city, it's built along the Meuse river banks and at the bottom of a steep hill overlooked by a citadel which housed the belgian army NCO school until 2007.

this info getting out must drive the Party crazy
Not much they can do about it, satellites see almost everything. China appears to be a series of environmental disasters waiting to happen.

It appears the state are the ones putting out the info

From your link:
"An aluminum alloy plant in Dengfeng, Henan, was hastily evacuated and its power cut early on Tuesday after a nearby river burst its banks and floodwaters brought down the outer walls. The water reached the plant's superheated alloy solution about two hours later, causing a giant explosion that was captured on camera by nearby residents."

Molten alu and water, a nice mixture. Alu has a strong affinity for oxygen, in its molten state it has enough energy to rob the hydrogen in the water of its oxygen. The hydrogen then exposed to air and high temperatures recombines with atmospheric oxygen in an explosive manner.
See what happens when you pay attention during chemistry lessons in school!

the interesting bit is that the view is taken through cloud
Subtle hint:
"50cm Very High-Resolution radar imaging"

Originally optical photography from space was all the rage, but cloud cover spoiled the party a bit. Then came better radars. NASA has cartographed all of Venus using radar from orbit through some extremely thick clouds.

PS. Allegedly a certain small country at the eastern end of the Med has used satellite imagery to keep an eye on their neighbours. F**k knows where they get the imagery from. ;)

Last edited:
From your link:
"An aluminum alloy plant in Dengfeng, Henan, was hastily evacuated and its power cut early on Tuesday after a nearby river burst its banks and floodwaters brought down the outer walls. The water reached the plant's superheated alloy solution about two hours later, causing a giant explosion that was captured on camera by nearby residents."

Molten alu and water, a nice mixture. Alu has a strong affinity for oxygen, in its molten state it has enough energy to rob the hydrogen in the water of its oxygen. The hydrogen then exposed to air and high temperatures recombines with atmospheric oxygen in an explosive manner.
See what happens when you pay attention during chemistry lessons in school!............
............Or work in the Alcoa aluminum smelting plant in Birmingham, and watch the safety film, its frightening, especially when working right next to an open hearth furnace, knowing that if even a small amount of liquid, for example, a few drops of drink in a cola can in the scrap being loaded, the instantaneous explosion will send a fountain of molten metal in your direction. Over the years i worked there on 3 occasions. :eek:

Yet more suffering, following heavy rainfalls in Brandenburg (south of Berlin ish), Bavaria and Switzerland there have been severe floods to match what happened last week in Bad Münstereifel, Schuld and Ahrweiler.

I notice from the evening news that London got hit. So any Arrsers suddenly aquired an indoor swimming pool or had their car turn into a submarine?

I notice from the evening news that London got hit. So any Arrsers suddenly aquired an indoor swimming pool or had their car turn into a submarine?

It's our turn tomorrow. Luckily, I live near the top of a hill. But parts of Edinburgh are going to end up twinned with New Orleans if the forecast is correct. :oops:

Last edited:
By contrast there are fires in Greece, Italy and Spain. Southern Europe battles wildfires as north cleans up after floods

I suppose on a plus side, the Santa Coloma one had very heavy rains which allowed the volunteers to deal with it.
With temps last week pushing 40C and just going down to 33 over the weekend, the fires are pretty inevitable.
We were forecast huge thunderstorms and hail today but it didn't happen. Just about half an hour of very heavy rain but Catalonia, Murcia and the north of the Valencia got the worst of it.

Latest Threads