apres moi le deluge....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by EX_STAB, Jan 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Even though it is still snowing here in the Peak District today it is inevitable that there will be a thaw soon and the HUGE quantities of melt water will be rushing to the sea. If we get rain on snow it will be even worse.

Now considering the amount of flooding that we've seen over recent years one would imagine that the Environment Agency would be preparing for a major emergency.

However, I've heard no mention of this in the news at all and certainly no warnings for anybody to be prepared for it.

I live on a hill so I'm not worrying but if I was in Shrewsbury, Stroud or Cirencester I'd be buying a boat and moving all my possessions upstairs.

2. You might end up with a lot of neighbours?
  3. Personally I would not worry because Mr. Brown will take command and control and direct that the floods (if any, we are in 'global warming') recede.

He will most likely 'legislate' and appoint a 'Flood Czar' and institute a quango - 'Floods Under Control'.

Upon second thoughts, buy a boat or build an ark.
  4. Looks like half the country will drown then !
  5. Nice one! :thumleft:
  6. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

"Ah!!! I can't see!!!"

Thats cos its a blinding flash of the obvious. And as such will not have been considered by the government cos they seem to much prefer reacting to disasters to quietly preventing the disasters from happening. This may because they get more column inches with the first approach. It may also be because they are that blinkered to reality...

Thoughts? Get a Yamaha or Mariner two-stroke outboard for you boat. They are utterly bombproof and will last forever. Make sure you also buy LOTS of spare sheer pins if the motor needs them as well...
  7. I'm not normally very impressed by the way local government does anything, but it should be noted that Gwent and Rhonda Cynon Taf (I think) councils already have snowmelt flood plans ready.

They could be crap plans, of course, but at least someone did something.
  8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Gordon "Canute" Brown will face the tide and order it back

Either that or Mandleson will order two of everything on the Ark he built when he heard Gordons plans

I live in York it'll flood the same council that has been appealing for 4 x 4 owners to help deliver meals will blame global warming on them
  9. Look, stop worrying will you. Everything is under control because the Environment Agency says so. Right now there are no Flood Warning or Flood Watches.

But not everybody shares that view:

Sandbags ordered as York braced for flooding when snow melts

"If the snow melts quickly, it could cause the River Ouse to swell to a dangerous level, leaving houses and businesses vulnerable.

The situation has sparked fears that York could be on the brink of scenes reminiscent of 28 years ago, when weeks of snow and ice were followed by a quick thaw and rain. "

So, by the time the floods are in full spate all those much trumpeted shipments of road salt will have arrived. Which will be very useful
  10. I too live on a hill but I keep a 12ft Avon RIB and a 41/2hp Yammy just in case in my shed, the big shed not the smallone, I keep my bikes in that.
  11. Unlikely to get all the animals in two by two, though.
  12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

My bold
    28 years ago how dare they we didn't have global warming then
    Don't they mean like it does every years or like 2003 when we had Chinnooks flying sandbags round the town or they were waterskiing on the racecourse?
  13. When the Cardiff Bay Barrage was built the Environment Agency carried out a ground water survey and reported that the Barrage would prevent flooding in the area for the next hundred years, but, last month on the spring tide it flooded the "Torchwood" set, so much for their very expensive survey
  14. I, too, live on a hill and am quite looking forward to global warming and the ability to park the boat at the bottom of the garden!

The, er, new neighbours will be deterred by the AP mines and the multiple rows of barbed wire hidden deep in the large holly hedge!

15. See, there's always a positive aspect...

Quis Separabit

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum