Appreciation - Brig. Harry Baxter GM CBE

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by caubeen, Mar 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A genuine hero - RIP sir
  2. I didn't know him, however he appears to have been a fascinating character with an amazing career.

Rest In Peace

3. He was. That escapade of extreme gallantry, jointly with Hal Chavasse, in carrying/driving with the IRA bomb out of the Armagh depot in 1957 became a sort of "urban legend" in Ulster, especially among servicefolk and the police; but it was all true, and done as coolly as can be. The GM was well merited.

When the unpleasantness began again in 1969, I think it was the German-born head of what was then called the Ulsterbus company who set some sort of NI record for shifting bombs to safety, simply by picking them up and carrying them off a succession of hijacked buses. Incredibly brave (or foolhardy?) I forget his name, but I seem to remember he got some sort of gong/honour for it. [Was his name Werner Heubeck, by any chance?]

Baxter was a very effective and locally popular commander of the UDR, coming as he did from a RIF background. That photo of him in The Times catches his expression well - and that trademark black monocle and pipe, too. Nice man - and he cast a lovely line when flyfishing, one of his favourite pastimes. RIP.
  4. Yup,

Werner Hubecke was the Ulsterbus bomb man...
  6. Thank God for a legend and hero such as this man , be thankful also this Army still produces them.

RIP sir.

7. RIP Old Warrior.
  8. Amazing chap RIP
  9. A practicing Catholic, a loyalist, a leader of men by example and a thoroughly nice gentleman. I had the pleasure to meet him in Ballymena a few years ago and was impressed by his humour, directness and manners.