Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Applying to the Int Corps - detrimental to future work abroad in China/Russia?

Hello all,

I am currently applying to 5 MI battalion - a reserve intelligence unit. If I am not accepted into the Int Corps reserves, I would instead like to go abroad for a few years teaching English. The best places (in my opinion) to do this are China and Russia.

Does anyone with any experience in or around the Int Corps know if my application to 5 MI battalion could be detrimental to getting a work permit in countries such as these?

Better yet, is there anyone reading this who is ex-Int Corps or an ex-Int Corps applicant and now works abroad in a country that is known to be a rival of the UK in terms of intelligence? If sodid your background in the Int-Corps, or the fact that you once applied to the Int-Corps, cause any issues?

Thanks for reading, and please keep all responses serious and relevant to the thread.

Tyk

LE
I would be more concerned about what the Corps and specifically the Security Officer thinks about your plans, Clearance is required for many Army roles (even reserve) and I'd imagine Int Corps does, very much so.

Chinese work visa applications do not require disclosure of former military service.

I wouldn't work and reside in Russia. Having run businesses in both countries (albeit from a London base), Russia is significantly worse than China.

I know a fair few ex-intelligence types (military and otherwise) here in Hong Kong which has never been a problem for them however I know at least two who won't cross the border into China. Sorry, I appreciate that it is rather anecdotal.

As a cheeky aside (recruitment forum I know!) I haven't yet met an English as a Foreign Language teacher for whom intelligence wouldn't be an oxymoron.

Hello all,

I am currently applying to 5 MI battalion - a reserve intelligence unit. If I am not accepted into the Int Corps reserves, I would instead like to go abroad for a few years teaching English. The best places (in my opinion) to do this are China and Russia.

Better yet, is there anyone reading this who is ex-Int Corps or an ex-Int Corps applicant and now works abroad in a country that is known to be a rival of the UK in terms of intelligence? If sodid your background in the Int-Corps, or the fact that you once applied to the Int-Corps, cause any issues?

I am American and have nothing to help you with as far as UK forces policy.

I do have a comment about teaching English abroad. Many of the language schools are legitimate but I know that many are not. It can be dangerous. My cousin's son Will was a recent graduate with a bachelors and masters in education and a sense of adventure. He signed up with a language school in Thailand that offered pay, living expenses and free housing.
When he arrived they asked for his passport to "apply for a work permit". The free housing was in a building of single room flats, mostly occupied by prostitutes, pimps and drug dealers that were doing business all night. He got modest allowance for food etc but the pay (and passport) were being held up "waiting for the work permit" Conditions got worse and he called his brother Brian to ask what he could do to get home. Happily Brian was a vice-president of a US corporation that does business across the US. When Brian went to the CEO to say he was taking time to try to retreive his brother. The CEO said don't fly commercial and offered one of the company G5 Gulfstreams. He also said he would send along the company head of security who was retired FBI. Brian flew over, they went to his flat in the whorehouse/drug den, scooped Will up, went to the US Embassy where the security guy was a huge help in getting immediate issuance of a new US passport (he had served with the FBI as a Legal Attache at an Embassy) They hopped on the plane and headed home.
Follow up: Will returned to Maine, teaches school there and married a lovely wife and has a baby boy who looks like the tot on a baby food box.

Not trying to rain on your parade about working overseas but please be careful. If a place sounds good ask for contact info for people who had worked for them who have returned home and make sure the deal is as good as the school promises.

Good Luck!

Latest Threads