Applying to Join Infantry in 30's with baggage.

PATER50N

Swinger
Watched, The Para's Men of War on ITV last night. Noticed a lad called Alex Parry, 31, from Bristol.

Searched online and found out he passed P Company. fair play to him.
Gives me that bit more motivation.

Attachments

LWilson

Clanker
Watched, The Para's Men of War on ITV last night. Noticed a lad called Alex Parry, 31, from Bristol.

Searched online and found out he passed P Company. fair play to him.
Gives me that bit more motivation.
He had a drug history aswell.

May be so, in normal circumstances, for many jobs, but for an application to the armed forces it will have to be declared and will show on the DBS and SC check. Failure to do so is an offence in itself.

POLICY FOR THE RECRUITMENT AND ENLISTMENT / COMMISSIONING OF PERSONNEL WITH CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS
That doesnt mean that it isnt "spent" for the purposes of the act.

In this case an unspent conviction would be an outright bar to application. This conviction is spent so he is not barred from application but he must declare the conviction if the post is subject to enhanced disclosure. Regardless the conviction is still spent.

You clearly only have a very limited understanding of disclosure and barring. So maybe keep your advice to yourself.

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
That doesnt mean that it isnt "spent" for the purposes of the act.

In this case an unspent conviction would be an outright bar to application. This conviction is spent so he is not barred from application but he must declare the conviction if the post is subject to enhanced disclosure. Regardless the conviction is still spent.

You clearly only have a very limited understanding of disclosure and barring. So maybe keep your advice to yourself.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not saying it isn't spent for the purposes of the act, just that he will need to declare it for any job that will require an enhanced DBS check, or SC/CT check, which in this case will include an application to HM forces. Perhaps I didn't express myself very well.

It won't necessarily bar him from entry, even if it is "unspent" as the policy I attached makes clear.

I have a very clear and detailed understanding of Disclosure and Barring - I have been involved in one form or other with screening and employing both military and healthcare personnel for a number of years, and I currently have executive responsibility in my organisation for decision making around suitability for employment of those applicants with a "positive disclosure".

So maybe you should be less angry.

PATER50N

Swinger
I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not saying it isn't spent for the purposes of the act, just that he will need to declare it for any job that will require an enhanced DBS check, or SC/CT check, which in this case will include an application to HM forces. Perhaps I didn't express myself very well.

It won't necessarily bar him from entry, even if it is "unspent" as the policy I attached makes clear.

I have a very clear and detailed understanding of Disclosure and Barring - I have been involved in one form or other with screening and employing both military and healthcare personnel for a number of years, and I currently have executive responsibility in my organisation for decision making around suitability for employment of those applicants with a "positive disclosure".

So maybe you should be less angry.
You are correct, had my F2F interview and Briefing today, been told i have to declare all SPENT convictions as it still can go against my application and have been told by the interviewer that i can not join if i have more than 3 spent convictions, as i have 7 going back over 10 years ago, all for fighting my i add and nothing dishonest like stealing, fraud, drugs etc..
Still looked like she wanted to cancel my application.
Fingers crossed its true they look at it as a case by case and i get through to selection.
Feel a bit disheartened today, i know once im in training i will smash it and im not the fiery little **** i was 10 years ago... oh well the past does have a tendency to creap up on you. What will be will be.

Last edited:
You are correct, had my F2F interview and Briefing today, been told i have to declare all SPENT convictions as it still can go against my application and have been told by the interviewer that i can not join if i have more than 3 spent convictions, as i have 7 going back over 10 years ago, all for fighting my i add and nothing dishonest like stealing, fraud, drugs etc..
Fingers crossed its true they look at it as a case by case and i get through to selection.
Feel a bit disheartened today, i know once im in training i will smash it and im not the fiery little **** i was 10 years ago... oh well the past does have a tendency to creap up on you. What will be will be.
If it doesnt work out theres always FFL

WolvoExPunk

On ROPS
On ROPs
True. I read a good book last year, about a 38 year old Jock ex-copper, who did 11 years with the 2 REP. He served in Chad, 1st Gulf War, and Bosnia, and left as a caporal-chef. He was offered a posting to Paris, but decided he had done his time and went back to Scotland.

JNM

War Hero
You’d think with the recruiting shortages they’d let you through considering you didn’t do anything too bad.

The_Duke

LE
You’d think with the recruiting shortages they’d let you through considering you didn’t do anything too bad.
Each one of those convictions, if they had occurred whilst serving, would have resulted in a load of paperwork being generated, a day lost for the soldier and attending officer to go to court, problems if community service awarded, and ultimately a potential admin discharge.

If the offences were in the military rather than civ legal system there is potential for detention in the military jail.

Loads of time and money spent every time someone can’t keep their hands to themselves. Why should they ship in known problem children?

PATER50N

Swinger
Well all that bring said, tbey dated back to 2005 so have been classed as SPENT.
Got my selection date tbrough, 4th of April. Absolutely buzzing

JNM

War Hero
Each one of those convictions, if they had occurred whilst serving, would have resulted in a load of paperwork being generated, a day lost for the soldier and attending officer to go to court, problems if community service awarded, and ultimately a potential admin discharge.

If the offences were in the military rather than civ legal system there is potential for detention in the military jail.

Loads of time and money spent every time someone can’t keep their hands to themselves. Why should they ship in known problem children?
Depends how recent, a bunch of minor shit at 18 and then nothing until you apply at 30 is different to minor shit over a long period.

The_Duke

LE
Depends how recent, a bunch of minor shit at 18 and then nothing until you apply at 30 is different to minor shit over a long period.
Yes, which is why his spent convictions have been considered and he has been allowed to proceed.

The army needs recruits, but not ones that will be more trouble than they are worth.

JNM

War Hero
Yes, which is why his spent convictions have been considered and he has been allowed to proceed.

The army needs recruits, but not ones that will be more trouble than they are worth.
Just saying they’re more likely to let minor things slide at times like now rather than when they’re meeting targets.

Latest Threads