Applying to Join Infantry in 30's with baggage.

PATER50N

Swinger
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forums and this is my first post so hopefully this is the correct place to ask my queation.

As the title states im in my 30's, will be 33 on the 25rh of this month.
I have just recently put in an application to join the Army.

Firstly i was wondering how common it is for people to join the infantry in their 30's.
I understand fitness is a major factor, I will have to come to terms with someone younger than me giving me orders and that i will have to be away from home and family, all which i am aware of.
I was just wondering if anyone has any personal experience joining at an older age and if they could offer any advice or informtion.
Its something ive always wanted to do, i have the Wife and Kids, the house, the business.. but something is still missing, its something ive always wanted to do and its forever playing on my mind, I understand the sacrifices i will be making, i feel its now or never, and hoping its not too late.

Also i have two added hurdles to overcome, i have a tattoo on my left hand and one on the back of my neck, they are non-offensive and ive had a couple of laser removal sessions so they are faded and will hopefully have them completely gone this year, so my question is will this affect my application?

The 2nd hurdle is my Criminal convictions,
I was sent to prison for 12 months in 2010 for ABH.
A fight in a pub ended badly and i was punished accordingly, i understand this is a unspent conviction and could affect my application so was wondering if anyone could also shed aome light on this.

So i have Age, Tattoos and a Criminal record going against me, if I get rejected atleast i can move on knowing i tried.

Productive feedback would be much appriciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ben.

ugly

LE
So i have Age, Tattoos and a Criminal record going against me, if I get rejected atleast i can move on knowing i tried.

No that's like a blind man saying he had a ton at passing the driving test. Its something younshouldnhave done before the stupidity gene kicked in, still let us know how you get on and how long before the recruiter laughed at you!

PATER50N

Swinger

No that's like a blind man saying he had a ton at passing the driving test. Its something younshouldnhave done before the stupidity gene kicked in, still let us know how you get on and how long before the recruiter laughed at you!
Stupidity gene? We all make mistakes, so squaddies dont make mistakes? Has a squaddie never had a fight on leave or had a tattoo? If i knew the Army could have stopped me making mistakes i would have joined at 16.
Im my defence im glad ive made mistakes to learn from them.
Thank you for the productive reply though, will be sure to keep you updated on mu progress and if the recruiter laughs

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Go to your local ACIO and have a chat with a recruiter. There can give you better guidance as to the realistic prospect that you might have of joining the Army.

The only word of advice that I will offer is that when most people think about joining the Army, they focus, understandably, on the application process and recruit training. Often on arriving at their battalion, they are hit by a wave of disillusionment as the day-to-day reality of garrison soldiering makes itself evident. As a junior (in rank not age!) soldier, your life is often steered by an invisible hand of authority over which you have little influence. With the relative paucity of operational deployments at the moment, when compared to the previous 15 years, there is probably more of this now.

As a more mature soldier with a young family, you might feel this more than most. The DS answer is to get promoted as quickly as possible, but here your age might actually count against you. Promotion cadres in the Infantry are pretty robust, but if you're fit ...

Of course another option might be to join the Reserves. Same entrance requirements, but perhaps more suited to your present life and with option of mobilising for operational deployments.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Stupidity gene? We all make mistakes, so squaddies dont make mistakes? Has a squaddie never had a fight on leave or had a tattoo? If i knew the Army could have stopped me making mistakes i would have joined at 16.
Im my defence im glad ive made mistakes to learn from them.
Thank you for the productive reply though, will be sure to keep you updated on mu progress and if the recruiter laughs
Yup they do! However they usually have the stupidity gene kick in when paid, after they are in their unit, something you may find eludes you. In my time drunken troubles were usually caused by "the incredible plan" something that usually occurs when the sensible gene is suppressed by alcohol!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
The DBS check is going to be an issue I suspect.

I was 23 in basic training and was looked on as an old guy back in the 80s. You are going to be 10 years older than I was.

I don't know about joining up in the 30s, bit before my time as I did it in the 80's!!!! Sorry

Seriously though, chat it over with your recruiter and see what they say. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If you are married with or without children are you sure you want to put your partner through this, very few Army marriages last, It takes a very special partner to make an Army wife/husband. if she is fine with it, there's still your age, Infantry you say, I did it when I was 16 and it damn near wasted me. Your body is older and your joints might not be able to cope with a freezing minefield breach, let alone basic, Go AG Corps, get a shiney arse instead.

PATER50N

Swinger
Thank you for the productive and positive replies. I have started the application, I wasnt asking if i should join so will ignore the negative comments.
Was just wanting some advice on the 3 factors i have stated before i hear back from the recruitment office so i have an idea of what to expect.
I can handle being the 'grandfather' figure in selection so just wondered what ecery day life is like for older soldiers with a low rank in their unit etc.
Im not at all worried with the fitness side of things, my day to day job and sport activities keep me in shape, dont drink, smoke, no joint or muscle problems etc and i will breeze the 1.5 mile test no probkem so was just the tattoos and conviction which has me worried.
I will be making a huge sacrifice Kelvin, will take a big pay cut but im not joining the Army for the salary, will have to start at the bottom after being my own boss, will miss family but what soldier doesn't?
Ive weighed up the pros and the cons and its still what i want and my Partner will support me and we would be looking into family housing if im not based locally.
Nothing against the Reserves but if i do something i put 100% into it, dont do anything by half, its all or nothimg so the TA is not an option.
Glad to hear they look into your comvictions if your honest and its not juatb computer that filters you out.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Glad to hear they look into your comvictions if your honest and its not juatb computer that filters you out.
Do be prepared for 'computer says no' moments during your (often long and torturous) online application. An anomalies, especially medical ones, will get flagged up and it will be usually be a case of liaising with your recruit application case manager to get past these hurdles. The process can try the patience of Job, but again, if you want it badly enough you'll stick with it.

Last edited:
I was 23 in basic training and was looked on as an old guy back in the 80s. You are going to be 10 years older than I was.
Snap. There were a couple of others at the same age and one who was older. Nothing really significant other than the staff expected us to show an example due to our 'maturity' and we kept getting dicked more often for duty student type things.

Latest Threads